Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #121
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
shit looks awesome mang!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #122
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
Mannykiller is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergoji View Post
manny was ur fd yellow at one point and were u ever a part of groovydrift?
Nahh.... It's always been black...and my name is actually Aaron.. I just got screwed by a guy nammed manny once wayyyy back in the honda-tec days so I decided to forever let people know what I thought about the guy haha. The bastard fully built a motor for me and dissappeared. 2 weeks later his shop was absolutely gone..and my car and my motor were at his personal residence which he had just moved into. I got a tip from one of his buddies where it was...so I showed up with a trailer/my pink slip/and a group of big dudes I knew and got my stuff back. He had all my parts on his personal car... knock-off's on mine.. so we took it all back =-) luckily I got my stuff back but that guy built motors for people I knew and they were all left in the dust. Not sure what his last name was exactly..but his first name is manny and he's a short little phillipino dude who builds Honda motors. I hope none ofyou guys know him or a part of anything he does. Karma will have it's way with that guy
Mannykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #123
T.O.D.
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
T.O.D. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool build, glad to see it continue to move along! quite a process...

Any projected dates (do I dare ask) to get her fired off?!
T.O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #124
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.D. View Post
Cool build, glad to see it continue to move along! quite a process...

Any projected dates (do I dare ask) to get her fired off?!
I wish I could give you guys one but truthfully... that shit never works out and I end up just being disappointed because I didn't make my deadline haha. I will make this years Thunder on the lot drift event, All star bash, and I have if I don't get to balcony within the next 6 months I may as well call it quits hahaha.

Switching ECU's soon... going with a New system: Adaptronic... the Aussies developed for Fd's... its seriously the real business for fd's. Talk about Artificial Intelligence.... plug in and start up!!! and I no longer need an EBC as the built in unit is excellent. I'll explain later.

more updates soon!! Thanks for the comments guys!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #125
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Update:

So I finally got everything mechanical solid enough to say that I'm about 99% done as far as motor parts go. I pretty much have all parts necessary for start up.

So it's was time to pull the motor and re-install my Exedy twin disc pressure plate. The wedge clip and ring were bad....bent or something and they wouldn't hold. Everytime the clutch was pushed in it would just pop out. So I got a new one off a forum member and installed it.

Pulling the motor

Pressure Plate off

Old wedge clip and ring vs New one

ANd I forgot to take pics of it back on...but whatever..it looks the same..but now it holds =-)

So since the motor is out I decided it would be time to paint the engine bay. Now i'm really struggling with color choice. I could go with matt black...which is really boring..but it'll be clean. Or I could go with gloss black..but ...it would still be kinda plain. Either way I'm going to be doing it myself. I don't have a paint gun or anything so i'm just going to be using high quality ceramic paint. And after seeing how well the paint on my sub-frame and suspension arms has held up against grease..power steering fluid, and brake cleaner...i've decided to use the same high quality spray can stuff over self etching primer. Hopefully it comes out good.

Brake cleaned engine bay. Going to give it the one over with simple green then get to masking it all off.

Stay tuned!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #126
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Hey gordon I ordered my paint and the lady at the paint shop knew EXACTLY what I wanted to do/what I needed. It came out to $115.00 for 1 can of silver base, 2 cans of the Candy Hot Pink, and 1 can of acrylic clear. Took pics of the labels for you!

ANd you guys guys are going to kill me....and I'm not %100 about my color choice..but It was an impulse decision which led me to my color choice change. I'm no longer doing black... The New color is HOT pink in tribute to the Dragon Performance drift fd. I love that car..and even if it doesn't flow with my black and gold theme.. oh well. THe car will still move and ;-)

For Gordon

and

The color

In other updates...moving forward with the build. Been meaning to get to this for a while but just havn't gotten time. Heat reflective'edded my LIM and UIM in the areas I was concerned about
Before excessive LIM

After excessive LIM

And Virtual works UIM

process

Done
Old 01-31-2013, 11:07 AM   #127
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 PM   #128
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

So after quite a bit of thinking... I decided to go ahead and sell my Apexi Power FC. It was great and I never had anything but smooth running with it but it's just time to move to a much simpler, much more capable engine management system.

So i'm pleased to announce that I've done quite a bit of research over the past couple, and i've decided to go with the new Adaptronic Plug and Play FD3s system.

I could go on and on about why...but I came across these questions and answers and figured they touched all the things I was worried about, wanted to know about etc..

1) There is no need for a datalogit($300+ unit), the adaptronic uses a generic supplied USB cable to access every portion of the ECU

2) There is an internal 4 bar map sensor you can select if you wish, instead of paying $150 + to upgrade to a 3 bar with PFC

3) You can switch on the fly between maps( 1 street, vs 1 track map etc)

4) Closed loop tuning with a wideband. The PFC only uses the OEM narrow-band to do closed loop tuning during cruise. The adpatronic when parred with a wideband o2 sensor can self tune itself all of the time, even in boost. Same goes for idle control, and transient throttle( throttle response)

5) The adptronic has VE tuning, the PFC does not. VE tuning is what all new cars, and new ECUS use. You input the fuel injector size, engine size, injector dead band timing, and its a much easier, linear and faster way to a better tune. The injector staging between primary and secondaries is also automated, you never have to touch this( PFC has similar, but not as complete).

6) You can listen to knock through a set of regular headphones if you have the OEM knock sensor hooked up. This is a big plus when dyno tuning. The PFC does not have this.

7) Data-logging function is a lot easier to use on the adaptronic, the PFC takes some practice and one has to be more familiar with the software to do so.

8)If you want to change to the FFE trigger you can with the adaptronic, you cannot with the PFC

9) if you ever want to upgrade to individual coils like the AEM units, you can run each coil seperately. You have to run wasted spark with the PFC. This drops coil output.

10) if you ever want to use E85, there are closed loop tuning available. Just add a flex sensor.

11) you can do a push to pass cockpit switch for track cars( temporarily increase boost when pushed).

12) you can do boost control based on transmission gearing( uses the OEM factory tranny sensors). All you need is a boost solenoid hooked to the ECU, and you can set max boost based on each gear. For example, 10 psi in 1st, and 2nd, then 15psi in 3rd, and 20psi in 4th/5th.

13) better boost control, has a entire map. Add a $90 sensor and you have a electronic boost controller

14) the ECU is compatible with most display dashes, like the RacePak. PFC is not compatible.

15) This unit can cut the ignition in increments of 1% which gives you a gradual torque reduction for traction control, PFC doesn't have any sort of traction control.

I placed my order tonight!!! should come in pretty soon here and once the motor is ready to crank over... Adaptronic will now take care of business!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #129
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Heres there website!! Check them out!!

Adaptronic Engine Management | Standalone Engine Management Systems | ECU
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #130
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

And more Updates:

Got the rest of the engine bay all cleaned and masked off for paint!! used tin foil to block off lines etc..

Primed

Silver metallic base

and......

don't hate the player hate the game guys...

Now I ended up running through both cans of pink..so i'll have to pick up another 2 cans tomorrow because there are a few light areas that I'd like to take care of and a few areas that actually haven't seen any coat of pink what so ever. I actually really really like it... I couldn't have asked for a better shade of pink.. it looks wicked sweet in person too. Can't wait to finish and get to the clear coat to!! More updates soon!! but i'm glad I got my New Standalone Engine management system ordered.. and a few odd-ball small pieces ordered to get this puzzle buttoned up quicker.
More updates soon!!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #131
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
That's sick dude
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #132
mewantkouki
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (36)
mewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enoughmewantkouki will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Holy shit.. That's rattle can!?
mewantkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #133
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
Check out digital image on avenue L on the west side of Lancaster they do great paint jobs
coupesallday! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #134
mishimoto
Zilvia Addict

mishimoto is an unknown quantity at this point
Looking good!
Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #135
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewantkouki View Post
Holy shit.. That's rattle can!?
Yes sir!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishimoto View Post
Looking good!
Thanks so much!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupesallday! View Post
Check out digital image on avenue L on the west side of Lancaster they do great paint jobs
I'll have to check them out.. I think i'm going to be taking my car to my buddy for the exterior though. Hellbound customs. He does rat rods and older rods...but all of his cars end up looking really nice. Plus I trust him...and thats a hard thing to say for a lot of shops out here.

ANyways...

The pink came out great. Not completely done yet..but I did take my thumb nail to a part of the dried paint that no one would see.. and guys...this stuff is really hard. I put a lot of pressure on it..scraping my nail across the pink...and it really held up. No scratch that I could see..and I'm not even positive the paint was done drying completely. Hopefully more updates soon!

Also...ordered a wideband. Innovate MTX.. Purchased it From Turbosource
Old 02-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #136
coupesallday!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (18)
coupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the roughcoupesallday! is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via MSN to coupesallday!
well if you do end up going, make sure to check out my brothers s13.5 and s12!!!
coupesallday! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #137
DallasTXjdm
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (41)
DallasTXjdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Thumbs up

Absolutely sick FD build!!!!! Can't wait to see her up and running!!
DallasTXjdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #138
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Thanks guys!! just finished her off tonight!!!post pics in the morning!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #139
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Little Update:

Sooo I got 2 more cans of pink and was able to finish up the paint job last night. You know...after doing this... theres no way in hell i'll paint again. I just don't have the patience for it. But I guess this is what doing it yourself is about right? finding out what you like and don't enjoy doing. ...and paint.. I don't like doing haha. I'm glad I did it, but I just don't want to do it again.

The paint looks good...but there are a couple light spots.... like by the frame rails on the passenger side trans tunnel and by the brake booster. Luckily you won't see this areas but I'll try to touch up these areas as best as possible. The acrylic clear really laid on nice and smooth. I was surprised at how good it came out. Check it out!!

ohhhhh sooo smooth..not bad for rattle can huh?!

Also... The Adaptronic should come in here in about 2-3 weeks right when everything should be ready to go and the ready for the first start. If anyone here has any questions about the Adaptronic.. post away. i've become pretty familiar with many of the features and If i don't knwo I'll find out. The Adaptronic's support team is really next to non!! I feel like I have my own personal engine management team haha.

I also ordered a Innovate MTX-L wideband to pair with it..and it just straight plugs right into the adaptronic.

Also on order...is the AEM Marine coils and harness i'll be running. Looking forward to getting this thing started and driving and burning some rubber!!

ooooo and lastly.. my housing to turbo manifold studs came in... THey're OEM but they are a little long and with long studs.. sometimes removing the manifold in the bay becomes a haslte.. So I may end up using shorter studs on the top.. we'll see. Anyways... Updates soon!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #140
mishimoto
Zilvia Addict

Turned out great!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #141
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
^ came out sick

apx. how much do you think you spent on material for spray painting the bay? im debating i got some one to spray mine with a gun for $300. but if rattle can is less then $100 ill probably do that..

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #142
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Well I spent about 150 total for the following:

4 Cans of Pink
1 Can of Silver Base
1 Can of Acrylic Clear

The Pro's:
Its cheaper, especially if you don't have a spray gun
I used News paper and tin foil to mask stuff off... Already had masking tape
Paint actually dries hard and is pretty dang tough. Won't run when brake cleaner hits it. Although i wouldn't recommend spraying brake cleaner straight onto it and rubing it.

Cons:
Sounds dumb..but truthfully my finger hurts from constantly having to push the top down to get spray. (the next day my finger wasn't visually bruised..but it felt like it)
You need to be careful and prepring is very very important. I recommend doing the same amount of prep work as you would a professional job. So if you think you cleaned it well enough... you probly didnt. Mine crinkled in a few areas and this being my first time really painting anything of substantial importance... kinda was a bummer..but it'll be covered by some heat barrier material anyhow. But still sucks that to fix it i'd need to sand it down completely in that area...primer..paint..and clear over it ya know?

Over-all... if you have less than 200 bucks and no paint gun/resources to use a gun and you've never done it before.... then use these paints. AV Auto Paint can actually ship you these same cans.. and believe me... it's worth it.

But if you have over 300 to spend on paint..then go ahead and go the gun route. pressing down on the can is a pain and you really have to watch the spray tip of the can to make sure it doesn't accumulate on the tip and splatter. I carried a little rag to wipe it down every few passes. Also make sure you spray consistently and evenly. The light spots could've been avoided if I would've done a bonefied 1st coat, 2nd coat...3rd coat etc. But other than that.. live and learn and yes I'm happy with how it came out. It's not a show car anyhow. Just needed something that would look good and protect the metal while I burn rubber =-)
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #143
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
thanks for the info,

you should of looked into this

it may have helped, yea i hate rattle canning to holding the top gets annoying after a while esp when you're trying to do something accurately.

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #144
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

dude..that would've helped so much!!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #145
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

not much of an update besides parts ordered:

Adaptronic Plug and Play engine management
Innovate MTX-L Wideband
AEM Marine coils and Harness from C. Ludwig

The paint seems to be curing a little slower than I had expected because it's been on the chilly side. Wondering if it would be ok to use a heat gun lightly over it just to cycle it? We'll see. But Wrapped my Down pipe with Mishimoto exhaust wrap. I was going to use the DEI titanium wrap but the Mishimoto had a much higher Direct Heat Contact temp so I ended up going with them. Besides that... I kept finding myself looking at the DP and really admiring how visually appealing it was haha. Wrapped the WG dump tubes as well.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #146
T.O.D.
Leaky Injector

T.O.D. is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
I wish I could give you guys one but truthfully... that shit never works out and I end up just being disappointed because I didn't make my deadline haha.
I feel ya on that one, making good progress though! That ecu setup looks pretty solid as-well, thanks for the share.
T.O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #147
mishimoto
Zilvia Addict

The down-pipe looks great thanks for selecting Mishimoto for your build! I would not recommend using the heat gun on the paint unless you absolutely have to. A blow dryer on a super low setting maybe but I feel like the heat gun may cause you some problems. Wouldn't want to ruin all of that work.

Keep up the great work!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #148
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishimoto View Post
The down-pipe looks great thanks for selecting Mishimoto for your build! I would not recommend using the heat gun on the paint unless you absolutely have to. A blow dryer on a super low setting maybe but I feel like the heat gun may cause you some problems. Wouldn't want to ruin all of that work.

Keep up the great work!
Hey no problem..... I've always liked Mishimoto products. Used them on my last build almost 8 years ago with no problems =-)

Yea you know it crossed my mind but It would be a shame to ruin the whole paint job because I was impatient. Maybe I'll roll it out of the garage this weekend during the day and just let it sit in the sun sat and sunday.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #149
mishimoto
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
Hey no problem..... I've always liked Mishimoto products. Used them on my last build almost 8 years ago with no problems =-)

Yea you know it crossed my mind but It would be a shame to ruin the whole paint job because I was impatient. Maybe I'll roll it out of the garage this weekend during the day and just let it sit in the sun sat and sunday.
That sounds like the best plan. Keep an eye on the weather radar just in case. I had a freak rainstorm (gorgeous sunny day) ruin some paint on a Miata hard top. Though your paint will likely be hard enough by then.

After the paint is dry is the motor ready to back in?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #150
Mannykiller
Zilvia Addict

^ I'd definitely keep an eye on it! ....although I live in a pretty damn calm nice neighborhood I still wouldn't leave the car out unless I was home.

And yes as soon as it's dry i'll be putting the motor back together for final installation, making sure everything is nice and toite... All my fuil fittings need to be properly tightened and exhaust gaskets sealed up. Lots to do!!! Still need to drop my manifold off to have the turbo flange machined 100% flat,...nothing worse than annoying exhaust leaks. Then fluids, oil, evans NPG coolant, wiring my fuel pumps in, waiting for my ECU, and whatever else pops up hahaha. Getting pretty damn close to start up though!! =-)