Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
Xise
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
Xise is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
power steering lines and fittings HELP!!

Ok so I was trying to remove all my PS lines on the rack and since my s13 is an 89 and in New england, all the lines and fittings were rusted to shit and crumbled as soon as my wrench touched them....so right now I am pricing out oem VS getting some baller ass earl's lines and fittings...

It seems like I could just grab some lines from nappa or online for a few hundred bucks...the dealer is out of the question, they want over $400...FUCK THAT!

just to give you an idea of what my steering rack fittings look like...

So I was going to go with some earls PS hose ends and the PS hose, some m14 and m16 6AN fittings for the high pressure line...if I wanted to keep the pressure sensor I would need to also get 2 straight PS hose ends and an anotuff tee with a 6AN female and then an m16 female for the sensor....this would look awesome but probably cost a million dollars lol
any drawbacks to just getting rid of the pressure sensor??

every line on my PS rack is broken and since I the SOHC motor the banjo bolt on the PS pump doesn't detach via a 16mm port....could I just screw the 16m adapter into the top of the pump??

and also does anyone know the size of the lines and fittings for the 2 hard lines going from the rack to the pinion? the ones that look like brake lines? they seem to be M12 but the threads are really fine...I thought 1.25 but it did not thread into the sleeve at the hardware store so I am stumped...it isn't 1.5
or 1.75 either

I need to order stuff soon so any help would be awesome...I found almost all the sizes of the fittings...just unsure of the 2 hard lines and the low pressure line fitting...does anyone know for sure?
Xise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #2
Xise
Zilvia Member

bump!!! I really need an answer to this, hopefully someone knows
Old 05-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #3
s14unimog
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (22)
s14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond reputes14unimog has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14unimog
I've run without my pressure sensor for years, no issues. Check out Chase Bays PS reservoir kit for a good head start on the fittings you need. There are some special ones down there. I'm working on mine at the moment...

SHIFTlock_slide to side

d3m3rs0n: if i have a baby im naming it Brandons Fault Emerson
s14unimog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Xise
Zilvia Member

if it helps the small lines going from the pinion to the rack are m12x1.0 threads are 1mm apart I measured them today...still have yet to get that low psi fitting out...looks big but i won't know what size it is until I hit it with some air...and sadly me POS harbor freight special air compressor shit the bed on me for the 4th fucking time the other day!!!!....that's the last one I need so I can order all my fittings!!!

did you just leave it hanging or cut that sensor? or put a resistor on it to fool the ECU to think "all is well"??
Old 05-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
Prime
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Prime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the roughPrime is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
+1 on Chasebays for the lines, and just leave the plug hanging or cut it off. Won't throw a code or anything, just won't kick your idle up when steering at low rpm. Only time would have a problem is if your motor is bogging at idle anyway, and you've got other problems if that is the case.

Chase Bays Power Steering Kit - Nissan 240sx w/ KA|SR|RB - Nissan 240sx - ChaseBays.com

Baller looking, and about the same as OEM. Or just get the high-pressure from them and use a pushlock for the low pressure. That's basically all it is, stock, minus some hose clamps.
edit: Just realized you were looking for the other fitting size. 14mmx1.5

Last edited by Prime; 05-25-2011 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: fitting size
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Xise
Zilvia Member

can't really use their kit as I am sohc my line is over 6ft long b/c I have to reach the PS pump on the other side of the bay...I blasted that last fitting off with an airgun but lost my bolt size chart....

the other fitting for the low pressure line is bigger than m14x1.5 though....it looks like m16x1.5 coarse threads...once I find my chart i'll measure it and order them...once I have the fittings here and know all the sizes for sure I will post it up here with a pic showing each one....might make for a good sticky for those trying to do the ENTIRE rack all baller-like....I got 4 m12x1.0 brake line fittings for a hardline coming in the mail so hopefully they will fit...according to my measurements it should be a perfect fit...we shall see though
Old 05-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
Xise
Zilvia Member

just found out the last fitting for the low pressure from the rack is another m16x1.5 w/ o-ring. So I am going to order all my hose stuff....I can always cut the cooler and the pressure sensor later...might grab a new sensor since everything else is new now

I might make a nice diagram so no one else has to hunt all these sizes down..took a LONG time to find all the info...most of it I measured myself lol
Old 05-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Xise
Zilvia Member

Just ordered all my hoses and fittings, everything is aeroquip except the 2 big fittings on the rack, also got a trans cooler to hook into the return line...keeping the line from the resovior to the pump as the regular rubber line for now...only because this shit is expensive lol...would have been more if I didn't have a local aeroquip store
Old 05-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
92lt1

Trader Rating: (0)
92lt1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hey, could you post up the fitting sizes please? im doing a lt1 swap and will need to make custom lines going to the stock lt1 power steering pump. i also bent one of the lines going to the steering rack pulling out the stock ka.
92lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
Xise
Zilvia Member

all the fittings etc for the power steering hoses

high psi line complete

return line all done

steering rack/bushings installed

my front end is almost ready to go back together To answer your question and also save you A LOT of time hunting them all down, measuring etc the sizes are:

Starting from the PS reservoir --->6an hose clamp->6an oil hose->6an hose end->6an to m14x1.5(w/ oring)

from the pump to the rack is m16x1.5 to 6an adapter(w/ crush copper washer)->6an power steering hose end (90 deg)->High Psi PS hose (8ft SOHC/6ft DOHC)->6an power steering hose end(45 deg)->m16x1.5 adapter (w/oring)

the small fittings on the rack are m12x1.0, not sure what size brake lines to use for that, I still need to get some
Old 06-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #11
92lt1

Trader Rating: (0)
92lt1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thanks for that, i figuired out the pump to rack sizes, but i couldnt find the fitting with the brake lines. Im converting my rack to a manual rack, and i think im going to plug them with zerk fittings so i can grease the rack if need be.
92lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
Xise
Zilvia Member

not a bad idea, these cars are very light so no PS isn't a problem, just muscle into parallel parking spots lol, IMO actually better for drifting b/c you have that extra road feeling, the wheel goes to jello when you lose traction in the rear and you can really predict what the car is going to do better!!

this entire kit costed me under $200 and I only need to get a cheap 6an oil cooler and maybe a small hose to connect everything. I did have to shop around at 3 different stores to get that price though ANpluming.com summitracing.com and my local aeroquip dealer (the driver's seat) Good luck to everyone heading off to tackle this...

P.S. I had to use an angle grinder to remove the outer nylon and steel belt sleeve to make the hose end fit on properly about 3/4 inch of the outer sleeve needs to be removed, hope that helps!!
Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #13
japslapsilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (12)
japslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the roughjapslapsilvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
http://zilvia.net/f/chat/338796-powe...ood-times.html

here is the one i did

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspecusa View Post

Nothing is rare just expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
if you've ever been with multiple women, then even you can understand that not all girlfriends are created equal. some are capable of amazing oral talents, while others dont mind a lill back door action.
japslapsilvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #14
LayNLow
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
LayNLow is making a name for him/her selfLayNLow is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xise View Post

P.S. I had to use an angle grinder to remove the outer nylon and steel belt sleeve to make the hose end fit on properly about 3/4 inch of the outer sleeve needs to be removed, hope that helps!!
The line is made thicker for a reason! There is no need to cut any of the sleeve off to make the line using earls p/s stuff. Their youtube channel will show you how to properly assemble the line and ends.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #15
Xise
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayNLow View Post
The line is made thicker for a reason! There is no need to cut any of the sleeve off to make the line using earls p/s stuff. Their youtube channel will show you how to properly assemble the line and ends.
I used the aeroquip hose and ends, and I only hit it with the angle grinder to get rid of the frayed end of the hose so it would physically fit into the PS fitting. I searched a while before I assembled everything so I knew to thread it counter clockwise.

Last edited by Xise; 06-25-2011 at 07:32 PM..
Old 07-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
s13_rb25
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
s13_rb25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
This is AWESOME! helped me so much. thanks dudes
s13_rb25 is offline   Reply With Quote