Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #661
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (44)
xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
In regards to the DriftWorks knuckles for the front and rear, would they be suitable for road racing? I apologize if this has been answered. There is just such an overwelming amount of awesome in here that I just want to make sure that I am understanding correctly.

I understand that the pivot points between the FLCA and Tie Rod are closer, causing the inner facing wheel (pointing towards inner radius of a corner) to have more angle inward than the outer wheel. (As much as 5deg difference.)

I believe, since I do not have my roll centers modified, that my outer wheel has more angle inward than my inner wheel. (Really bad right?)

Is having the inner wheel with more angle inward more beneficial for road racing? I'm picturing my car in a corner, accounting for the weight of the vehicle on the outside, and it seems that I would benefit. I just want to confirm that I am thinking correctly.

Or, would I incorporate the Offset Rack Spacers they make so that the directions of the wheel are identical?

Lastly, would combining the DriftWorks knuckles with Moonface roll center adjusters be overkill?

My YouTube Channel
xpertsnowcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 PM   #662
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So you're dropping the tie rod link, but not raising the spindle? I understand that half of these knuckles are for drifting, but a little extra effort for the better camber curves would help entry speed.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #663
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

xpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud ofxpertsnowcarver has much to be proud of
^^Who me?? No. I want everything to be symmetric and ideal for road racing.

My YouTube Channel
Old 04-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #664
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
no, in response to kpr and billspear
Old 04-26-2010, 02:07 PM   #665
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Those guys are basically just cutting up the stock knuckles and rewelding them with the arms that the tie rods bolt up to being shorter and with a "flatter" angle, thus allowing the knuckles to be able to spin around more before they touch the FLCA as the tie rods pull them in.

Because of that, there is just not enough material to cut up and reweld on the back side where the FLCAs would bolt up to, thus not able to add any roll center correction in that sense.

To correct roll center with stock or stock-like knuckles, the most cost effective way to do it would be to do what Def did and modify Godpseed FLCAs and do it up that way.

Or you could take out the stock ball joints in your stock FLCAs and weld in spherical bearing cups and put spherical bearings there, then use a 3/4" bolt in place of the ball joint or the tapered stud. Makes life a million times easier.

Then all you'd have to worry about at that point would be the tie rod ends.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:35 PM   #666
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpertsnowcarver View Post
In regards to the DriftWorks knuckles for the front and rear, would they be suitable for road racing? I apologize if this has been answered. There is just such an overwelming amount of awesome in here that I just want to make sure that I am understanding correctly.

Or, would I incorporate the Offset Rack Spacers they make so that the directions of the wheel are identical?
They were *cough* 'developed' *cough* for drifting but do address roll center
Jimmy mostly tracks his car so he would be the best person to ask
once his knuckles are done
on that note, Mike started making the one-off bushings for them
I'll try post up some pics tomorrow

Joel, stay away from those rack spacers, that's some scary shit

aren't you an engineer? Design me a structurally sound modular aluminum upright
kind of like the ones on the Sierra Sierra Time Attack Evo
and I'll be your best friend

ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 AM   #667
mmdb
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
mmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymoremmdb is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
I would highly recommend a roll center adjuster similar to what the Driftwork spindles achieves. I like them a lot (front only right now) not only because they add a sharper feel with much, much less roll, but also because the steering arm was modified. THis decreases the steering ratio which I found beneficial during turn in (arms aren't crossed up) and during oversteer correction (fast steering ratio helps a lot with reaction).

Quote:
Lastly, would combining the DriftWorks knuckles with Moonface roll center adjusters be overkill?
The amount of correction the Driftworks knuckles is plenty. Addition of the Moonface roll center adjuster is overkill. BUt doesn't hurt to try if you're curious, just your wallet.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #668
ManoNegra

ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
The first of the custom bushings for the Driftworks rear knuckles

Old 04-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #669
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Are the driftworks rear knuckles made out of aluminum?
Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #670
longfellow
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
longfellow is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
No they're steel.
longfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #671
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
With the light rekindled, engineers jump in and make stuff for us
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:55 AM   #672
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post
They were *cough* 'developed' *cough* for drifting but do address roll center
Jimmy mostly tracks his car so he would be the best person to ask
once his knuckles are done
on that note, Mike started making the one-off bushings for them
I'll try post up some pics tomorrow

http://photos.motoiq.com/MotoIQ/Feat...2_2TLxp-X2.jpg
Which Jimmy are you talking about? I know more than one on here.

Yea, I wasn't looking forward to using those. I'm sure they cause a lot of stress at the joints.

Lol! Man, if I had a Mill, let alone access to one, then yes, I would make some kind of forged upright. I began designing one, but I became too busy with other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdb View Post
I would highly recommend a roll center adjuster similar to what the Driftwork spindles achieves. I like them a lot (front only right now) not only because they add a sharper feel with much, much less roll, but also because the steering arm was modified. THis decreases the steering ratio which I found beneficial during turn in (arms aren't crossed up) and during oversteer correction (fast steering ratio helps a lot with reaction).

The amount of correction the Driftworks knuckles is plenty. Addition of the Moonface roll center adjuster is overkill. BUt doesn't hurt to try if you're curious, just your wallet.
Uggh... They are expensive..

My YouTube Channel
Old 04-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #673
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:

Sorry, I just messed my pants a little.

Ya, make those and I'll be your best friend too.

racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #674
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
Me three .
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #675
ManoNegra

Quote:
Which Jimmy are you talking about? I know more than one on here.
Jimmy <--> mmdb

Quote:
Lol! Man, if I had a Mill, let alone access to one, then yes, I would make some kind of forged upright. I began designing one, but I became too busy with other things.

Uggh... They are expensive..
I just need a well thought out design, leave the rest to me
Old 04-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #676
xpertsnowcarver
Post Whore!

Quote:
Jimmy <--> mmdb

I just need a well thought out design, leave the rest to me
OOOHH YEA! I forgot. That's another Jimmy. I'll bug him right now.

Oh, well that's not too hard. Do you have the SolidWorks program? If not, it's cool, I can send you drawings in PDF format.

My YouTube Channel
Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #677
wacko2
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
wacko2 is making a name for him/her selfwacko2 is making a name for him/her selfwacko2 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
that for all the info
wacko2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #678
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
So me and my friend were having a debate on how you want your leading wheel while your at full lock. He thinks that you would want your wheel to still roll over to positive so that it will pull the car in that direction, based off the fact of your wheel always pulls to the side that is most positive while driving straight.

I think that you would want the wheel to roll flat. I based this off setups that run lots of static negative camber with higher than stock caster. B/c this will put you closer to 0 then if u had less, correct.

So which is right?
Flat>

or more towards positive>
Old 04-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #679
SoSideways
Post Whore!

SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Probably a personal preference thing there...

Some might like it to be flat, some might like it to be more positive.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #680
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Flat gives you much more grip. You have to think, basically that is the only wheel steering your car at that much angle. The weight is on that side, and the other tire is going to go up on it's side too.

Static camber will not change your steering axis inclination unless you dial it in using the lower mounts on your coils. Think about how your wheel moves around your shock.

Caster will make the wheel roll over onto it's edge more because the shock is more angled.

Now you can modify all these things, but be careful, you have to take into account ackerman and scrub radius as well, so be smart if you're going to do it.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #681
mikerbike
Zilvia Junkie

mikerbike is an unknown quantity at this point
So, I tried those modified knuckles like Bilspeer and KPR and LOVED them. I didn't remove the stops on my control arms, so I didn't gain much angle (some) but the steering response is what I would consider "amazing". Now I have both of my S13s equipped with them. Yeah, love them.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #682
95KA-Turbo
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of95KA-Turbo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere, I didn't relook through the thread.....but D-Max makes knuckles now:

D-MAX Æ’Vƒ‡Â[Æ’g Æ’iÆ’bÆ’Nƒ‹Â@ÂØ‚êÅ*pÆ’AÆ’bÆ’v | Æ’GÆ’Aƒ‚Ȃǂ̃hÆ’Å*Æ’tÆ’gÆ’`ƒ…Â[ƒ“ƒpÂ[Æ’c

Looks like they have a nice bumpsteer correcting dip in them too.

Instagram - SJKnoop
95KA-Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #683
SoSideways
Post Whore!

They definitely do have some nice bumpsteer correction built into those.

But for dudes like you and me, Def, mmdb, Codyace, and Otto, we're also using roll center correcting FLCAs, so just that little bit of bumpsteer correction from those knuckles are still not enough to totally eliminate bumpsteer.

You would still need the adjustable tie rod ends.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #684
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Z33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfectionZ33dori is close to perfection
by adj you mean like the Kazama and stance "angle" tie rod ends?

And do knuckles increase caster, or is it just the added steering angle rolls so much futher?
Old 04-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #685
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Caster is controlled by the T/C rods normally, as your knuckles rotate on the ball joints (or spherical bearings) on the FLCAs, so no, those knuckles that are basically just stock ones that are cut and rewelded do not change your caster at all.

And by adjustable, yes, I mean like the Kazama or Stance tie rod ends, although those don't have nearly the amount of adjustments that the SPL Parts ones will give you.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #686
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Sorry dont know if its been covered either but Dmax tie rod ends and the turning up angle adaptor info pls.
xpinoyxmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #687
Pandapants
Zilvia Junkie

Pandapants is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Pandapants
What about peak performance outers?
Their shank looks comparable in size to the spl
but at a fraction of the price and compatible with s14 inners.

I was looking through the nissan road racing forum mentioned earlier,
and many were saying that roll center adjusters like moonface and greddy
don't really change roll center "b/c of the location of the pivot point."
Are there any pictures out there with either of these products next to a stock balljoint to compare the location of the pivot points?
Pandapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #688
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z33dori View Post
by adj you mean like the Kazama and stance "angle" tie rod ends?

And do knuckles increase caster, or is it just the added steering angle rolls so much futher?
Another reason I'll be getting Driftworks knuckles. The steering axis inclination is modified to keep the tire flat when at extreme angles. Check it:

Old 04-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #689
Z33dori
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Another reason I'll be getting Driftworks knuckles. The steering axis inclination is modified to keep the tire flat when at extreme angles. Check it:

thank you so much i was trying to find pix like that last night to prove that they keep flat.

much appreciated. Yea the more i look into those geomaster knuckles the more they are worth the heavy price.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #690
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandapants View Post
What about peak performance outers?
Their shank looks comparable in size to the spl
but at a fraction of the price and compatible with s14 inners.

I was looking through the nissan road racing forum mentioned earlier,
and many were saying that roll center adjusters like moonface and greddy
don't really change roll center "b/c of the location of the pivot point."
Are there any pictures out there with either of these products next to a stock balljoint to compare the location of the pivot points?
Look on the first page. Sunline racing ball joints actually have a longer shank.

I'm sure peak performance outers are very high-quality. SPL's are compatible with S14 inners, they just like to tell you they're not so that you buy inners from them.