Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
Side Mount Inter Coolers

Lets talk about them.

say for example, you have ~270whp, but you don't want a front mount intercooler.

BECAUSE YOU DONT WANT ONE! Don't ask questions.

S15 SMIC is kinda beefy, so is ARC.

How are they gonna hold up to that?

Where could you get these intercoolers for cheap?
Old 11-20-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (60)
garagelu is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
Just realize that a sidemount at 270whp will get heatsoaked really easily with hard driving. Even though s15 or ARC are a little thicker, there still isnt that much surface area to dissipate the heat.

For whatever reason you want to go with a sidemount, you will see a good 20-25 hp increase with a front mount over a sidemount. A sidemount is fine but its just not efficient.

As for pricing to give you an idea, I got a ARC sidemount with my front clip and sold it on ebay for 230 dollars on ebay when I went to a front mount. I included the core, all the piping and the brackets.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
tunersedge
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
tunersedge is making a name for him/her selftunersedge is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
As long as the SMIC is receiving a good amount of air it will work almost as well as a FMIC. I say that because obviously with a front mount typically you have a much larger surface area that can be cooled. With the SMIC your sacraficing the size of the intercooler's surface area.

cheap intercoolers? check ebay.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
last time i checked heat exchanger equations, surface area is multiplied!

Make sure you use the ducting for the SMIC. Most people do not use any ducting for FMIC so you may be able to get slightly closer to most FMIC performances.. just making an educated guess.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
sc300fivespd
Leaky Injector

sc300fivespd is an unknown quantity at this point
why dont you want a front mount??

LOLOLOL jkjkjkjkj

what you can do is fabricate a duct that goes to the smic just like in supra and soarers... dont really know anything about the setups on silvias.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Yah, it'll be properly ducted.

I dont care about the powerloss though either.

I dont want a front mount because I don't have to explain myself. EAT ME
Old 11-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
projectdrifter
Zilvia Addict

projectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of lightprojectdrifter is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to projectdrifter Send a message via Yahoo to projectdrifter
iirc the supra stock sidemount is good to 400whp. allot of dsm guys run them as an upgrade sidemount. i have never herd of any 240s/sr/rb runnig one wbut would like 2 see it.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #8
TanaMU
Zilvia Member

TanaMU will become famous soon enoughTanaMU will become famous soon enoughTanaMU will become famous soon enoughTanaMU will become famous soon enough
consider air to water sidemounts
Old 11-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
bejota180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
bejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
you could, besides ARC and s15... get a small ebay or no-brand intercooler and make your own custom piping for it... if they are properly ducted and its decently sized you will get a nice cooling...

are you avoiding front mount because of the piping? just in case it's that you can get those really thin front mounts that you dont have to cut bumper that much, get one with the inlet/outlet on the same side and use side mount intercooler piping(arc had a design like this...)

Ps. forgot to say, some companies make aftermarket sidemounts for 300zx and eclipse... check those out...
Old 11-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #10
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

I'm avoiding Front mount because I don't want a cooler up in the front, because I like the OE piping, and.. I don't want a front mount.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #11
WoolyS14DET
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
WoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to WoolyS14DET
So then why don't you just do a top mount or mount it just in front of the radiator ???
The stock side mount has miles and miles of piping........= lag
Old 11-20-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
Let's you keep the front support aswell
so a 10mph crash won't fuck your frame.
also more on the down-lo.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #13
S13Boosts
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (12)
S13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfectionS13Boosts is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
make a custom extended smic or something!
Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Duct the living crap out of it.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
vvtisupra
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
vvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vvtisupra
You got a pm my friend
Old 11-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #16
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyS14DET View Post
So then why don't you just do a top mount or mount it just in front of the radiator ???
The stock side mount has miles and miles of piping........= lag
cuz front mounts have less piping? Are you KIDDING ME?

front mounts go down through battery trays, around front braces to in front of the radiator, all the way back around the other side, and up through in front of the fenderwell again..

F-that.

And I said I wanted a fucking SIDE MOUNT.

SHUTUP.

haha, which is why I said don't ask questions.

and the piping on stock is tiny. that wont be laggy. specially not with a t28 on a 2.4 liter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soooshi View Post
Duct the living crap out of it.

It'll be ducted!! LEGIT.

custom fibreglass shrouding.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
I'd take an ARC sidemount over a cheap ebay frontmount. design quality is just as important as area.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #18
vvtisupra
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (16)
vvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond reputevvtisupra has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vvtisupra
Considering s15's make what 260 stock. The sidemount should be sufficient for a higher comp 2.4 thats flowing the same amount of air reaching your target hp number
Old 11-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #19
Ca_Silvia
Leaky Injector

Ca_Silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Custom make it, 4" custome made to fit stock piping. stock LxHx4" core should be a decent setup if properly ducted plus you could also rig a water sprayer application on the SMIC.

WAter sprayer is cheap and easy custome making the core would be a few bucks
Old 11-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #20
looking4-240
Leaky Injector

looking4-240 is an unknown quantity at this point
a bit off topic but does anyone have know around how much power (HP), a FMIC gives?
Old 11-20-2008, 12:40 PM   #21
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4-240 View Post
a bit off topic but does anyone have know around how much power (HP), a FMIC gives?
Come on, this isn't Gran Turismo.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #22
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
yeah man
go w/ a SUPRA sidemount
theya re great
Old 11-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #23
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Side mounts are for homos and lames.

And Evan.

Get an S15 one man, it'll be fine for your lil setup - pretty cheap, low pro, etc.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 11-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #24
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
mid-mount...
Old 11-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #25
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

I found an s15 core for pretty cheap.
I'll do a mist-sprayer setup on it..

Less I can find a Supra one for a better deal than the s15. Doubt it though.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:14 PM   #26
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin240Wayz View Post
mid-mount...
This is my favorite setup, especially when you're not pumping out huge power - you get the efficiency of a small core with the cooling of a frontmount and the "I'm not turbo" look of a side mount.

I was going to go mid-mount on my S14, but ran out of funds for new IC stuff. Plus my aero looks awesome with the front mount

www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
Old 11-20-2008, 01:26 PM   #27
norcal_black240
Zilvia Addict

norcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud ofnorcal_black240 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to norcal_black240 Send a message via MSN to norcal_black240
You wont need a fmic if you get this.

DevilsOwn alcohol water injection- methanol
AEM - Water/Methanol Injection Kit with 1-Gallon Tank

You run 50/50 water and meth, you get the best of both worlds. Running water will help lower EGT's. Running meth will increase octane rating and if you have the right EMS you can advance timing more and run more boost with a larger saftey margin.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #28
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

SSSIIDDEEMMOUNNTT, you know.. one that goes on the SIDE.

and I'm not doing meth injections. People die from meth.

haha

I'm gonna run a WATER sprayer to spray the IC at track days.
A simple little water tank and pump system. Garden drip system status.

And Jeff, you need a big sexy FMIC so nobody looks at your cowplower.
You'll jock my setup when its finished. TRUST.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #29
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.c-westusa.com/labs/fudo1.asp
Testing Procedure
All the C-West kits are developed in the wind tunnel and tested at air speeds of 30m/s to 40m/s which would equate to a road speed of approximately 90mph... In addition to wind tunnel testing, all new products are put to test on the circuit to prove track time gains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Stock aero is for homos and lames
Hahaha. Silly haters.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:00 PM   #30
WoolyS14DET
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (18)
WoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond reputeWoolyS14DET has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to WoolyS14DET
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemeGuero View Post
cuz front mounts have less piping? Are you KIDDING ME?

front mounts go down through battery trays, around front braces to in front of the radiator, all the way back around the other side, and up through in front of the fenderwell again..

F-that.

And I said I wanted a fucking SIDE MOUNT.

SHUTUP.

haha, which is why I said don't ask questions.

and the piping on stock is tiny. that wont be laggy. specially not with a t28 on a 2.4 liter.

It'll be ducted!! LEGIT.

custom fibreglass shrouding.

If you read my post I said a top mount or in front of the radiator up high !!! which has way less piping then any side mount !!!! Obvsouly you haven't done your research
Closed Thread