View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 09:19 PM   #32
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
So I finally finished my dual guide conversion and figured I'd share the progress, I'm sorry it's not much but a speeding ticket has cut into this months budget haha.

Anyways, glamour shots!

Here's the guides installed, I used a mix of my used guides, new OEM, and some slightly ground ones to get them all to match up. For those of you who don't know all the OEM guides are 3mm thick, but you need to compensate for the difference in valve stem length so that your rocker arm can sit level. all of the guides in your head don't need to be the same height, but the two guides per rocker need to be, if that makes sense. So cylinder 1 doesn't need to match cylinder 2, but you need to make sure that the guides you have in cylinder 1 are level so that your rocker makes full contact with your camshaft, the hydraulic lifters will take care of the height difference as long as all rockers are level. Wow I feel like that was over explained, hmm it's late so it's staying that way.

Now to measure your guides you'll need a tool that can measure your valve stem height. I know that there's better tools available, and that you can make one out of an extra lifter but here's what I came up with. It's a socket I drilled out to accept a dial gauge that extends out of the bottom of the socket. You use this tool by resting the end of the socket on your retainer and this gives you your guide height per spring. Again, probably not a good explanation but I have pictures!

And here is it in use,

You want this gauge to read as close as possible on both guides, and there's no real science to it besides trying all the shims you have haha

And here are my rockers that I ground using a bench grinder

Ground side

OEM side

Well that's all for now guys, I'll be bleeding my lifters tomorrow and then I'll have my head complete, then I'll just need to grab a timing kit and a few oil galley plugs for my block, then hopefully I'll finally have a full long block!

Thanks for reading!