View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #129
Chase Bays
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
Chase Bays is an unknown quantity at this point
We've never had issue with our kits but last week we had 2 or 3. I think some bled the system incorrectly and caused some damage to your pump or rack. More than likely the pump. Although our power steering kit has a lot of thought/R&D/work into it, its a simple system.

3 lines (4 if you're using a cooler)
Reservoir

Its hard for our kit to cause catastrophic failure. The failure is going to come from air in the system, which comes from improper bleeding. The crush washer worked perfectly on our car and PLENTY others, and all I can personally say for that is perhaps theres some clearance differences on the racks causing yours and some others to leak. We will find a universal fix for this. If it leaks, remove them. Simple.

When fully replacing fluid transfer systems like brakes and power steering, a LOT of air is in the system. With the power steering its mostly metal on metal components and with no lubrication/fluid, failure can easily occur IF improper bleeding occurs.

Let me elaborate on how exactly to bleed your system.

First of all double, and triple check that everything is tight. Loose connections might not leak but could allow air into the system. Do not over tighten o-ring hoses as the o-ring might be crushed.

Step 1: switch ignition OFF

Step 2: raise front wheels off ground (or all 4)

Step 3: turn steering wheel full left

Step 4:fill fluid resevoir to full cold mark.

Step 5: turn steering lock to lock at least 20 times, up to 40 times. If you're using our cooler it may be in excess of 40 times. DO NOT turn the wheel fast, slow is better for the bleeding process and it could likely cause fluid overflow.

Step 6: while turning wheel, check fluid level, a 2nd person is almost required. If you see any signs of bubbles/foaming, recheck all connections for leaks then repeat the steps above.

Step 7: NOW we start the engine. If fluid foams while cranking, wait 10 minutes or more until dispersed air has time to accumulate and purge through the reservoir.

Step 8: Return wheels to center and lower car.

Step 9: run engine at 2000 rpm for two minutes.

Step 10: turn wheel in both directions and check for smoothness and quiet operation.

Also added this to install guide since its becoming an issue. I hope this helps everyone and prevents problems in the future.

IMPROVING PERFORMANCE AND AESTHETICS WHILE SAVING WEIGHT AND SPACE

www.ChaseBays.com | [email protected] | (205)623-2188