View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
rc1honda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
rc1honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Go with apex-i it worth every penny. Cometic seem to be hit or miss. Some peoples leak and others don't. Also Cosworth and Tomei both make good headgaskets.

If your trying to save a buck then I would go Cosworth. But if you don;t mind paying a little extra i would get apex-i. I have a Apex-i and it never let me down and it has a lot of R&D behind it. I have heard some people talk about how good the fire rings on the apexi are and how you can reuse it 2 or 3 times.

Also only deck the head with internals removed. You don't wanna lose a rocker guide or valve shim at the machine shop and have that be the only reason you can't put the head back on.

Also a head gasket change it pretty st8 forward but it is labor intensive. It's not a quick job will definitley take about 3-5 hours to get the head off. If you have power tools then it's faster. But you have the valve cover, head internals, both manifolds. Also you will have to remove some ancilarry stuff like IC piping, upper collant hose, drain the radiator, and the oil.

Some of the head bolts (not studs) are a PITA to get at. The ones behind the mtor are going to drive you crazy. Also be sure to have a 10mm alan wrench or socket for the head studs. And make sure you have a good torque wrench.

I didnt change my timing chain so im not sure what you have to do. I would get a new tensioner too if you going to change the chain. Do not cheap out on the tensioner, get OEM.
rc1honda is offline   Reply With Quote