Thread: Popping At Idle
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
SRQ240

Trader Rating: (0)
SRQ240 is a well-known jackass
Popping At Idle

Hi all! I've never posted on the forum before, so this'll be a first.
I'm also not the most experienced with engine work or familiar with names/specifications.
Anyway, I've got a 1993 Nissan 240sx Coupe with a KA24DE in it. It's naturally aspirated and the only things ever done to it were belt changes and fluid changes as well as a new fuel pressure regulator.
The problem that has just recently developed is a rough idle. I have no clue what it could be other than maybe the MAF (that's I've read), the Valve Cover Breather, or maybe the Timing/Distributor. I'm not sure how to check each thing or even if those are what is causing the issue.
When I start the car up, it idles fine around 700 (which is what it usually idled at before the problem so it's fine), but when I give it a little bit of gas, it comes back down and settles at 1400-ish RPM and I can just hear a continuous popping sound coming from the exhaust. The clutch also feels a bit stiffer now too.
My main concern is the popping and it only does it when the car comes to rest at an idle. The popping is pretty consistent, but I just don't know what it could be. Any help with explanations is greatly appreciated!
Thank You!
SRQ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links