Old 01-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
rc1honda
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
rc1honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamryOnBronze View Post
Thanks for the input. I should add a few more details:

The motor is out of the car and on a stand. The intake manifold and exhaust manifold/turbo are removed from the motor, as well as the trans/clutch/flywheel (obviously). So it is pretty much ready to have this work done at this point. The bay/car are going to be painted during this process and all of the wiring is going to be sorted out/cleaned up, so I have plenty of time for the install.

I guess I will have to learn more about completely disassembling the head/ valve train. I want to keep things as simple as I can without cheaping out. Obviously I want to replace everything that should be with the right parts, I am just concerned about not having experience with the inside of a motor. I would hate to spend all of this money and time only to have it blow up because of a stupid mistake made on my part. I am, however, very open to learning.

The timing belt components will all be OEM from NissanParts.cc, so no worries on that end. I will do the tensioner and the guides along with the chain.
Ok if you have the motor then it's pretty fast and easy. The head internals can be a little complicated but not really.

This is a good time to pick up some cams and rocker arm stoppers.

Back to the head internals you have the cams, cam caps, cam gears, oil squirters, springs, retainers, rockers, rocker guides, valve shims, valve seals and hydro lifters.

You can go ahead and leave the springs and reatiners in with the valves. You migth wanna buy some new valve seals just for comfort but you would then have to take the springs off which can be a PITA. But if all your doind is changing the gasket then you can leave the springs and retainers and seals in there they won't fall off or move.

The rockers, and guides and shims are a different story though. One thing a really want to stress to you is the inportance of reassembling everything into it's orgininal place. DO NOT REVERSE THE ROCKER GUIDES AND VAVLE SHIMS. If you do you will throw all your rockers no matter what and can kill the motor.

So take the cams off. Take the rockers, guides and shims off and label them in a bag. Guides have the little groove in them for the rocker to rest on. Take the hydo lifters off. Try not to tip them over or you may have to bleed them. All you need is some pliers and you can take the lifters out. I would b;eed them anyway just to make sure before you put them back in, you don't want lifter tap. And then send it off to the machine shop to be decked. But you might wanna clean it out real good with some brake clean and air blower just to make sure there is no metal shavings near you valves and springs.

Other then that you might wanna use a copper spray on the Head gasket. Also make sure you clean the block surface real good. You can scrub it gently and get all the old gasket off there. Just to ensure a good seal. I use it on mine and had perfect leakdown after i was done. It really isn't needed but it doesn't hurt.
rc1honda is offline   Reply With Quote