View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
opticnerv

Trader Rating: (0)
opticnerv is an unknown quantity at this point
HOW TO : Flock Dashboard give it the suede look

I bought my car for 500 bucks no engine but a full interior, the only problem was the person kinda took the interior apart and painted everything with black spray paint. The most annoying part is that he spray painted the dashboard black as if that alone would fix the cracks. I decided to flock the dashboard. I got all the supplies from donjer flocking DonJer Flocking Fibers Supplies Suede-Tex Soft Flock Rayon Nylon Spray Applicators Kits Adhesive Cars Decoys Rods .

I ordered:

1 pound of nylon suede-tex ( you may be able to get away with less I ordered alot because I'm going to flock other parts too)

8oz of black undercoat adhesive

1 Mini flocker

Before you can begin flocking you need to seal up any cracks.
To seal the cracks I sanded the cracks down to make them flush with the surface. It is absolutely neccesary to seal cracks because they will show.

To Seal the cracks I used bondo. I bought a small small project pack for 7 bucks at pep boys. Mix the bondo like the instructions Then go ahead and fill the cracks. the bondo gets stiff really fast so work quick. Let the bondo dry for 20 minutes. Then Sand the surfaces smooth.

Now for the flocking process I had more pictures but the god dammed iphones pictures keep dissapearing when I plug it into the computer. The instructions are simple though. Clean the surface. apply the adhesive with a paintroller you have to work quick though and DONT miss any spots with the adhessive. fill the mini flocker half way and start pumping it !! its better if you have two people going at it because trust me it's harder than rubbing one out. after that don't touch it for 24hours just to be safe. It takes 72 hours to fully cure but within 24hours you can handle it.

Hope you enjoy. I searched google for any write ups on how to flock a dashboard but found nothing I hope this helps someone.

I will post an in car picture after I figure out my electrical problem and get the car running. Thanks for reading !!
opticnerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links