View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 03:38 AM   #1
VenomKillz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
VenomKillz is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy HELP! Fuel problem? Running rich? Then running lean?

Hey guys, so I've never posted on this part of Zilvia, but I'm hoping I can get some help with my current problem. I have a 1993 s13 hatch with a stock ka24de.

To start off, I had my car down the month of December due to overheating issues. I got it back on the road the first week of January. Everything was fine and then my check engine light came on and it read the code of 32 as in EGR Malfunction and whatnot so I wasn't so worried about it at the time. The next week, I was at a red light and my car suddenly dropped in RPMs and acted as it wanted to stall out. Another thing that I had noticed that started to happen was that my car would sometimes start up right away and after it sitting for a couple hours, it would take about 5-8 seconds to start up. It would idle fine and drive fine. So, I decided to recheck my check engine light just because I was curious since my car had started to act strange out of nowhere, it read the code of 45 as in leaky injector. I did some research and found a video that showed the same thing that was happening to my car... would idle fine and then would want to shut off. So I decided to buy 4 brand new injectors and so I replaced them all. They were such a pain in the ass to take out! Anyways, this is when I started to run into yet another problem...

After I had replaced the injectors(all 4), car started right up, no hesitation or anything, BUT now black smoke started coming out of my exhaust. I had checked my last set of spark plugs I had in my engine before I changed out the fuel injectors and they were all black at the tips which I'm sure means that I have been burning too much fuel/too much fuel was being added. I changed out the spark plugs with the previous set I had since I knew they were still good and then added the injectors. Like I said, after the injector changed, my car started to run rich and everywhere around would just fill up with the black smoke. I was starting to think that the fuel pressure was too high since it would be sending too much fuel into the cylinders. I tried testing the fuel pressure TWICE with the fuel pressure tester kit from a local auto parts store. The reason I tried testing twice was because the first kit I had, the gauge wasn't reading anything while my car was running. I returned it and got a different kit. I set up the other kit and the same thing happened. Car was running, but the gauge wasn't reading the pressure so I decided to just buy the new fuel pressure regulator. I wanted to originally buy an adjustable fuel pressure regulator like a Tomei or Sard, but I really wanted to have my car running by my birthday(today)...

I replaced the old fuel pressure regulator with a brand new one yesterday and as soon as I started it up, I noticed some like smoke come up from inside the engine bay. I also checked my exhaust and instead of smoke coming out, I saw wet marks on the cement assuming it's now running lean. So now, I am lost in what to even do or check or replace? My car was not running rich nor lean after I had fixed the overheating issue. Injectors were replaced, then I started running rich. Fuel pressure regulator was replaced and now I'm running lean. I had changed out my fuel pump last year in August so that is new and I had also changed out my fuel filter with a z32 one some time after the fuel pump so probably around October. I basically have changed out everything that is related to fuel besides the fuel lines of course and the fuel rail.

If I can get some insight on this, I would seriously appreciate it. I have't driven my car for two weeks since the injector problem has started. I am not too sure if the EGR is what's causing any of this, but I could be wrong. I have tested the EGR by pushing the valve up and covering up the vacuum port with my finger. It would stay up until I let my finger off the port. I have heard that there is an L shaped hose that usually wears out so I will check that out.