View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 12:23 AM   #22
let5l1de
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (30)
let5l1de is close to perfectionlet5l1de is close to perfectionlet5l1de is close to perfectionlet5l1de is close to perfectionlet5l1de is close to perfectionlet5l1de is close to perfectionlet5l1de is close to perfectionlet5l1de is close to perfectionlet5l1de is close to perfectionlet5l1de is close to perfectionlet5l1de is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to let5l1de Send a message via Yahoo to let5l1de
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb382 View Post
I called apexi (since I was using an apexi HG) before I installed mine and asked if they recomend copper spray/RTV. They said no to both.
Many MLS HG Manufactures actually recommend no spray or rtv due to possibly hindering the ability to seal properly. Another example is Cometic. Cometic Gasket Inc. also recommends a dry install due to the fact that a .001" thick viton rubber seal is bonded to the outer metal layers.

Quote:
The way I look at it, the only time you need RTV around the front cover is if you haven't had the block and front cover decked together. If both your block and head have been resurfaced, no need for copper spray. If you've taken a straight edge to them (not freshly machined) and they are good, copper spray.
I generally support this theory. So many people just buy the MLS type HeadGaskets and install without reading or ignoring the proper procedures for installation.

Quote:
I also heard contradicting stories as to whether or not it was necessary to retorque head studs after heat cycling a metal HG. I called ARP for this (as I was using their studs,) they said yes. After your first heat cycle go through, break each headstud loose, and retorque. One at a time.
I also generally agree with re-torquing the bolts or studs after the initial full heat cycle. Again, people disregard instructions or they are too lazy to perform this re-torque procedure.This can be an engine saving step that doesn't take very long to perform.

Quote:
I'm sure some people will disagree with me on my outlook on copper spray and whether it's worth re-torquing, but I like to get my recomendations directly from the manufacturers. Yes, I know, many people get away without retorquing, but it takes maybe an hour. Why not have the added security.

Factory recommendations is where I start as well, but all too often we run into situations the factory respectfully have never fully addressed. Seek advice from quality engine builders familiar with your build combined with MFG recommendations and your best judgment.

~m
let5l1de is offline   Reply With Quote