View Single Post
Old 07-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #79
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjayson View Post
Yes, the NISMO flywheel is the lightest flywheel you can get for this transmission, but it still weighs in at almost 14lbs and cost by itself almost a 1000 bucks. You can get a fidanza 9.5lbs flywheel and clutch assembly for under 500 bucks all day long on eBay which puts you under or right at 20lbs total. You'll never be able to beat that in the standard transmission form. My total clutch assembly weighs just 17lbs which if I do the math correctly is a mere 3lbs heavier than your NISMO flywheel. Beat that, oh you can't.
Sometimes you want the rotating mass to help with drivability, especially in a daily driver car. I for one like not having to rev and slip the piss out of the clutch to get moving because there is no mass help move the car.

Lighter is not always better, unless you're using this is a completely racing only application.

My twin disk setup from Exedy on the 5MT is 35lbs total weight. The clutch setup I had prior was 34lbs. I'm sure clutch/flywheel weight combos play a role in the destruction of tranmissions, but if a transmission is rated for X torque, no matter how light the rotating assembly gets infront of it, you're not going to make it any "stronger".

Sweet project though. I always wanted the 6MT, but it was always more work than I wanted to do to have a true 6spd and working speedo.