Thread: rota grids
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #28
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericforumname View Post
honestly man not really tryin' to be a dick about it but that doesn't seem like it could cause a potentially serious safety issue? I would think improperly balanced wheels could put undue stress on hubs and studs and potentially lead to failures.Not only that but doesn't that create a much greater chance of cracks and splits? I'm not an engineer but it would make sense if it were true.

if anything send those pos's back and make Rota replace them. sounds like a potentially serious defect. I know Rota sent a replacement to that guy that managed to rotate the spokes inside the barrels on a set he was using for drifting. It's worth an email at least.
I understand what you're saying, and oddly enough I am an Engineer. (At least, that's what I'm paid to do)

You're right, having an improperly balanced wheel is going to cause a lot of components, specifically the hubs, studs, an an assortment of suspension components to see stresses that are no where near 'ideal', but how detrimental is this? Only time will tell.

Odds are, at least from what I've seen first hand, the wheels being out of balance aren't going to cause any sort of dramatic failure (or at least when they're as out of balance as mine are) it's more of a prolonged 'wearing out' effect where anything that is already worn from the previous 230,000 miles of life is essentially given that last little bit to make it need to be replaced.

Considering how long I've had the wheels for (Now going on roughly 20k miles an 1.25 years) it's a bit late for me to ask for a replacement, and quite honestly, the balancing quirk doesn't bother me all that much. The wheels will cause a very specific vibration when driven at about 75mph-80mph and it slowly tapers off after about 10mph above that speed.

I've seen a bunch of cheap 'Asian' castings that have been X-Rayed, and they all show similar traits, specifically that there are either voids (porosity) or areas of varying density (can be a reflection on the metal composition or the casting process) and I'd imagine that the same is true for a lot of (most of) the cheap wheels out there.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote