View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
If you have an RB25 ecu
and you have an RB25 maf

First you need to verify that you actually have these. The best way to tell is to start the car and try to drive it. If it runs normal then you are in decent shape, however, you cannot boost it yet with the larger turbocharger.

To actually boost the engine with the larger turbo you need bigger injectors. No questions there, it will want gas and lots of it. Get yourself some 550~cc/min injectors at the minimum for 10~psi of boost it should be ok with any turbo.

Now you have to "tune" it. I used quotes because I am going to say something that no one will recommend of course, Use a SAFC-II.

Three good reasons to use a SAFC-II in your situation:
1. The stock ecu is for a turbo engine, so increasing the injector size to only 550cc/min will only add a few degrees of timing to your wide open throttle, you can compensate for this by lowering your base timing at the CAS slightly. As long as boost is ~10psi it will be fine.

2. if you sprung for an aftermarket ECU you would have a whole new problem which is getting it tuned, something that most people cannot do properly, even ones that claim they can.

3. Safc is quite cheap compared to a new computer + tuning.

I am going to repeat this again so you dont miss it: you need to verify, by driving, that your ECU + MAF is correct for your engine before you wire anything in (i.e. SAFC) and before you change injectors. If you swap the injectors and wire up the SAFC-II PRIOR to running the engine, and you cant figure out why it wont run properly despite having the right settings, you wont know if the ECU and MAF is correct for the engine. Don't go by the ECU cover either; people can change those in 30 seconds.

Furthermore, you need to boost leak check the plumbing on a regular basis; Get used to it. All Maf cars owned by people like us with these old engines need to learn how to do this properly. Build a boost leak check device out of some PVC and a tire valve and regularly fill the entire plumbing with compressed air to find leaks. This is the major #1 source for problems with these swaps and noobs.