View Single Post
Old 09-27-2005, 07:59 AM   #25
tastyratz
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
tastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to beholdtastyratz is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to tastyratz
no i didnt put ziplock bags on my ball joints
I made sure to get quality ball joints, a good full sized enclosing boot, and then a second boot to just completely seal the joint inside from the outside contaminants (obviously moisture is one thing but air humidity is the least of my worries)
I would like to show you what happens to a non sealed ball joint exposed to 2.5 months of new england winter. This was changed while there was snow on the ground and then replaced with a new temporary one which was already starting to crap out by the end as well. This is just my rucas, I have tension rods, toe arms, and traction rods as well. This WAS a cheap ball joint that was greased.

After that happening to everything I have I would say thats fairly convincing the environment I expose my car to is just as damaging if not WORSE than desert racing due to salt spray and micro abrasion in combination to larger abrasives. Cover your ball joints in toothpaste and see how long they laste.

You mentioned earlier that you dont want to grease a teflon joint which is understandable and ive been told the same. Certain materials can be corrosive to other materials or detrimental to their function but im curious... How exactly could "over lubricating" a ball joint cause premature failure? what you said makes NO sense. Properly using a compatible lubricant it should IMPROVE things, not cause failure. The less friction the better. thats like saying using mobil 1 will make your engine wear faster than habibbis own brand 75c a quart mom and pops gas station oil.