View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 10:35 AM   #38
collegekid
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
collegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to allcollegekid is a name known to all
Okie dookie

I have my 240sx and then my DD is a 2000 Impreza Rs coupe 5 speed. Stock besides suspension and clutch. I have a CEL on for maybe injectors but not 100% sure. I havent done shit besides oil changes so it could even be spark plugs or wires or a leaky hose or something (smells like fuel) It gets 22-24 combined mpg which is the same as my girls 2010 mazda 3 auto.

Pros of owning a fun dd
-Fun to drive
-my mpg is ok, slightly less than my moms 06 honda accord (4 cyl auto)
-Fuck it looks sexy
-Can eventually swap it ( I will as soon as I graduate and get a big boy job)

Cons
-Scared to get hit by some incompetent driver
-Car gets dinged no matter how far you park, someone actually went out of their way to hit my car and drove off (dented my fender)
-Every sporty/fun car has some kind of issue with it that you think about (like the Ej engines headgaskets)
-Being annoyed by douchebags who always bug you to buy your car and sometimes leave love letters on your windshield
-Parts are generally more expensive for sporty cars or hard to find
-You always worry about it getting stolen
-You will also most likely die if you are T boned

The others who have posted recommendations above are cool
-I like the Element because of its practicality, I'm really diggin the idea of a small v6 toyota or nissan truck. Getting a subaru wagon would serve you well but you have your XJ Cherokee. Are you going to get rid of that?

I'm personally against getting any fords. I just got back from a road trip with a friend in her 2016 Ford focus 4 cyl auto (not ecoboost) that she bought new, now has 11k miles on it.
Her windshield rubber stripping is coming off on both sides and you can see pollen/mold accumulating underneath, same with her trunk near the taillights. Interior-wise her headliner was half assed and her plastics were getting loose and one came off. Rear right strut was already clunking and the roads near her house are pretty nice. Engine did not seem smooth on power delivery when I drove (felt like turbo lag without the turbo) and it would constantly go up to 3-4000 rpm. We were on the highway so the gearing was something like 2000 rpm at 60 mph and 2750 rpm at 80mph. Gas mileage wasn't that great (compared to my moms honda driving the same) at 70 or 80 mph. This girl takes care of her shit and is not a dirtball or idiot driver. She actually knows to turn the car on and wait a little instead of flooring it like everyone else seems to do.

So my recommendations would be
-Get a boring daily as cheap as you can but still good quality. Don't spend all the money and not have anything left for repairs. 3-5000 should be enough.

-I'm gonna recommend a 2006 or 07 Honda accord sedan, 4 cylinder auto or manual.
My parents bought theirs new in August 05, Haven't done shit besides oil changes, spark plugs once, 2 batteries and a starter. Pretty sure its the same fucking radiator fluid from 12 years ago. You can also get a Camry or corolla/civic too.

I like the idea of a v6 truck, I would get auto but you do you booboo
collegekid is offline   Reply With Quote