View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 06:34 PM   #9
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btaztic View Post
The temp gauge when the car warms up, rests right halfway in between cold and hot (not sure what temperature that relates to exactly). It doesn't fluctuate once the car is warm, the needle sits right in the middle.

I had the thermostat replaced recently, at the same time I had the fan clutch replaced. Here's a little back story if it means anything. I had the radiator replaced at the same shop with a new OEM radiator. Drove it for a few days and noticed that the temp gauge started to not rise. The noise from the fan clutch was not present at this time. Then one day after I had already driven the car earlier that morning, the fan clutch started making the loud whooshing noise that followed the RPMs.

I brought this to the attention of the shop, and he said that my fan clutch is not working properly as it is fully engaged, in which case it is 'over cooling' my engine so to speak. He said I needed to replace the fan clutch. So cool, I have him replace the fan clutch and he called me later that day and said that the temp gauge still wasn't rising after the new fan clutch had been installed. He looked at the thermostat and he said that it needed to be replaced as it was stuck open. Again, I said cool, go ahead and replace it. Now the gauge is working again as it should, but the sound of the fan clutch is still excessive, nothing like it had been prior to any of this.

Again I bought this to his attention. He said that this is how it is suppose to sound and operate. All parts are Nissan OEM replacements. I got a second opinion from another shop saying the exact opposite, and he is saying that the fan clutch is possibly defective and that I should get a replacement for this one as it is not suppose to sound like that.

Now IF in fact this is how it is suppose to sound and work, then it would mean that my old original fan clutch was not in need of a replacement and that it was only my thermostat that needed replacement, however it would not explain why it suddenly started making excessive noise out of no where, which continues with the new fan clutch. So I don't believe that this is the situation, but just for the sake of this argument, I am willing to consider it.

Thank you, this is exactly my understanding of it! Now, this part is new so I should not be having the symptoms and issues of failing fan clutch that I am currently experiencing. I can't keep shelling money out for this and it is becoming quite frustrating to say the least. I'm no mechanic nor am I super knowledgable about all this stuff, but I am not stupid. Maybe, just maybe I got a bad part. If the next one behaves the same, I don't know what I'm going to do next.
It's not unheard of for it to be slightly noisy. But when the engine is off, you should be able to spin the blade with feeling some resistance. My main deal is you said you hear squeeling like a belt slip at higher rpms. That tells me either your new clutch is already seizing, or the other option is your belt does have some slip and therefore the fan not being spun enough to cool. That's less likely as you only hear slip at higher rpm

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote