View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #20
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
I've 3D printed parts that are currently on my S13, nothing interior since it more or less requires a 3D scanner, but I've done random brackets/weird plastic parts etc.

Kind of not the best method of production when considering machine cost, material cost, etc, but definitely neat.

Also, it's worth noting that like any other machine (but to a much higher degree) not all 3D printers were made equal. You'd probably be much better off 3D printing a single master, doing some surface work to it (assuming the machine is FDM) and then casting molds off of it. Or printing a series of molds and cast parts in them, although this gets kind of interesting depending on the part geometry, especially when doing complex rigid parts in a rigid mold.

Also, FWIW, dudes looking into getting printers, anything in the sub-10k range is pretty much a 'hobby level' machine and are extremely temperamental. Environmental conditions (heat/humidity/etc) will play a HUGE part in how well your parts come out and/or your build failure rate. If you've got the money, try to get something that's well enclosed (and insulated) with good environmental controls to minimize your headaches. The machine I use most frequently (3-5 days a week) is basically a $140k printer with a bunch of really interesting features and even it likes to be finicky when stupid things change (I.E. humidity).
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote