Thread: STL Riots
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #44
TMW
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
TMW is a well-known jackass
Lol, I was just reading over this thread and thought, "Either Matej or someone in his family is a cop..."

So, The Atlantic posted an article about the incident that quoted another journalist who said what I have quoted below. I think it somewhat captures what I think about what happened. And about the police "baby talking you out of it", the police should have some skills in talking to people who are agitated and angry and know how to not make a bad situation that much worse. The police should protect and serve not just kill a guy and drag his corpse off when someone calls about a disturbance/domestic dispute.

Quote:
The police arrive and instantly escalate the situation... Powell looks sick more than he looks dangerous. But the police draw their weapons as soon as they exit their car... They don't seem to know how to stop Powell, save for using deadly force. But all Powell had was a steak knife. If the police had been in their car, with the windows rolled up, he could have done little to hurt them...

...Even when he advances on police, he walks, rather than runs... He swings his arms normally, rather than entering into a fighting stance. They begin yelling at him to stop. And when they begin shooting, they shoot to kill—even continuing to shoot when Powell is motionless on the ground. There is no warning shot, even. It does not seem like it should be so easy to take a life.