View Single Post
Old 12-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #139
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokotas13 View Post
anbyoe got ideas on 150 ish 6.5s for hte front of my subaru

i was using kenwood excellons but i cant find em anymore
"150 ish" = ~$150?

If you don't have a tweeter location available (and/or just dont want to run components), you can always get a coaxial or braxial 2-way... I'm a big fan of these:

They go for about $100, and will take >50w RMS all day. No real crossover though... for that you'd have to spend a little bit more. What amp are you running? If it's just a head unit, stick to the CL-6EX listed above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cc0rd View Post
I'm also looking for recommendations for some affordable 6.5s that i can put in the back of my car.
gsxrjjordan: do you know if 8" woofers can be mounted on the rear shelf of an S14?
You asked very contradictory questions lol. If you want to keep your subs, throw you Kappas in the back (they're great rear fill speakers, because they're too bright/tinney and will play really loud) and get some real components in the front, and a good 4ch amp.

If you want to do something cool, you can definitely mount two 8's (I've used CDT EF-8's, and have a pair somewhere in my garage I think) in the rear deck without a box, as long as you make sure you're not overpowering them. Check out the CDT EF-80 - retail is $90 each, and they'll take 100w easily (200w max in infinite baffle I'd say), so you could bridge the rear channels of a 50wx4 amp and wire them as a 2ohm load for ~200w. Then you could ditch your subs and that Kicker amp. You'll want to damp the rear deck, or possibly put a 1/2" sheet of wood down in between some damping material, and mount the subs to that. But yeah, it's been done, and yeah, it sounds really good when done right.

You'd still want a set of tweeters back there for the fill probably though, so you're looking at another $100 at least for crossovers and tweets if you wanna go that route.

Getting tight, low bass out of 6.5" speakers is one of the holy grails of car audio, and the only way to do it right is good drivers in a sealed enclosure with a lot of power. To do it in the rear deck without a sealed box will need an 8" woofer (so you lose those mid-highs) and some control (to not blow the woofers, since theres no box, and to keep everything from shaking), but is a great alternative to my setup.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote