View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 01:05 PM   #47
hotrodjoseph
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
hotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura abouthotrodjoseph has a spectacular aura about
Thanks everyone! Hopefully this year means more driving and less working on it.

To pick up where I left off.

While I waited for the manifold to arrive I had installed the new motor and began to hook up all the wiring and accessories.

Obviously the first thing I did when the manifold arrived was test fit it!

It fit extremely well. It cleared the steering shaft and the wastegate flange was in the perfect spot just how I wanted it. After inspecting, I wanted some extra room between the manifold and the steering shaft so I wedged the motor mount 1/4 inch on that side just to gain some extra clearance.

I love the look of the top mounted turbo compared to my prior setup. Being that it is a midmount setup also adds a bit of extra excitement to me as a lot of people have never seen this setup before and seem to ask a lot about it.

I cant wait to hear it!

A few days later I put the car back on the ground and took some daylight pictures.

The car was now ready to get the downpipe and hot-side of the intercooler made. I don't have any welding skills so I towed the car over to my friends shop to get it fabed up for me.

The day I brought the car over it had snowed lightly, this made for some cool pictures.This is probably the first time the car has seen snow since maybe the early 90's.

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5603/31633830661_837b4fbf5b_c.jpg[/img

It didnt take long for the piping to get all made up. We decided to weld the greddy cast aluminum elbow to the compressor housing to help gain some more room in the tight area. It turned out pretty well. Unfortunately, the day I had decided to pick up the car we had the worst snow storm of the year. To put it in perspective a 15 minute drive to my house from the shop took 8 hours to leave my house and get back home with the car. The car was covered in snow.

Since the TD06 is oil cooled and does not require water lines I capped the water inlet and outlet on the motor. I then ordered new Aeroquip fittings and braided line from Summit, to make up the new oil feed line to the turbo. I decided that I wanted to run a heat sleeve on the line as well as cover the surrounding power steering lines in the area around the manifold. Regrettably I ordered them through Ebay back on Nov 29th and I am still waiting for them to arrive... That's holding me back on finally bolting up the turbo side with all the gaskets and firing it up. I hope they arrive soon or I'll have to order from somewhere else.

In the meantime I've found some other projects to do on the car but more on that later.

Thanks again,

Joe.