View Single Post
Old 06-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #23
babyjesus
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (14)
babyjesus is an unknown quantity at this point
i loved my VG (91 300zx) it had more than enough power to have fun with. I personally, i wouldn't do the swap, i'd much rather waste less time and money on something else, but if you can afford your car being down for a while do it.

Just like any motor they need maintnance, and parts are a lil more costly (if not the same) as parts for a KA.....some things i should worn you about, that i experienced with my VG, during climate changes I would experience fuel leaks. Because these motors have an awkwardly shaped plenum, vacuum lines and fuel lines run about every which way you could think of, and when the temp changes the hoses shrivel or expand acording to weather and cause potential leaks.....simple solution- keep an eye on it and tighten/replace things when needed.....also, if you're not fluent with oil changes ( like any car) you may experience mild to aggressive "lifter tick" (when your lifters build up and stick)...solution- regular oil changes, sea foam (i never tried this, but people say it works) or an oil flush treatment ( i did this, used "gunk oil treatment" and the ticking went away)

as far as upgrades to the NA more there's not much, some people run pop-chargers (intake kit) and jim wolf tune to free up some power but ultimately there's not much room for improvement. Contrary to popular belief, turboing the NA motor isn't practical at all. VG30de's have relatively high compression and are prone to blow under high boost....in short, if you're okay with not making much power over what stock has to offer GO FOR IT!

all in all, I had very good experiences with my VG, loved it to death while i had it and often miss my z