View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
jaysgottaredtop
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
jaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enoughjaysgottaredtop will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb DIY s13 chuki lip (gen4 Accord), side skirts (gen3 Legacy, gen2 Outback)

can't find a good thread to put these in, so i'm making one. deal with it.

90-91 ACCORD FRONT LIP. go to your local junkyard, find a 4th gen pre-facelift Accord ('90 and '91), and get the front lip. mine was $10. it's too wide and doesn't extend back far enough to directly fit the chuki bumper, BUT its overall "length" (or "perimeter" if you will) is dead perfect.

to do it yo'self: simply notch the accord lip's mounting surface to allow it to curve closer to the middle and straighten out towards the wheel well. with your chuki bumper off and upside down, carefully mock up the lip and drill a few holes thru the bumper/lip for zip ties. you'll be able to zip tie it corner to corner. it lines up so well, no one will realize it isn't stock.

a little dirty, but you get the idea.

98-03 LEGACY, 00-04 OUTBACK SIDE SKIRTS. go to a local junkyard and hope/pray they have such new cars. if they somehow do, get those skirts. mine were $30 for the pair. they f'kin rule for so many reasons.

1) they look cool. they have bulges similar in style to the s14 kouki sides, except they mainly bulge out, not down.
2) the front end-cap fits the rear s13 wheel well dead on.
3) that end-cap lines the skirt up PURRRRR-FECTLY with the s13's lower body line (same line the OEM skirts follow).
4) the underside "tray" part of the skirt gets just close enough to the pinch weld to use as a mounting point, but doesn't hit/interfere.
5) the front side can be trimmed to line up with everything there too.
6) because they follow the body line so perfectly, there is no interference with the door opening/closing.
7) $30 and an afternoon of careful cutting and drilling. seriously. you can't beat that.

to do it yo'self: test fit the Legacy skirts "backwards" so to speak; right side mounts on the left, left side on the right. the [now] rear end-cap butts up perfectly on the rear wheel well, and has a hole in place for mounting. mark that spot on your s13 wheel well lip and drill it for a zip tie. for the front, mark where the skirt reaches the wheel well and cut off that extra 8 or 10 inches of overhang with a dremel. drill a couple holes in the bottom side of the skirt (it'll be obvious where exactly) and mount it (w/ zip ties, duh, but seriously they work best) to the lower mud flap mounting hole and the two fender-to-pinch-weld holes. done.

i have no front end-caps cuz i'm lazy, but you could make some pretty easily with abs/plastic/whatever and some glue/sealer.

now i need rear valences. i'll probably just use some shortened mudflaps to continue being cheap.

in closing: $40 total, looks great, can't complain, suck it

*EDIT* fancy pics! see page 2 for more.

*EDIT* painted that shit to match.

*EDIT* REAR VALENCES (TRIMMED/PAINTED MUDFLAPS) added. see page 3 for brief how-to. the pair was $10 at a local junkyard, bringing my ghetto aero package (lip, skirts, and valences) to a grand total of 50 bucks

*EDIT* 90-91 ACCORD FRONT LIP ON SILVIA FRONT as copied from my post on page 4.

my housemate just got around to notching a '90-'91 accord front lip for his Silvia front end. came out super clean. the only main difference is the "perimeter" of the Silvia bumper/fenders is shorter than my Chuki by a few inches, so he had to trim off about 2" on each side where the lip would otherwise overhang into the wheel well.

*EDIT* NOW WITH MOAR PIGNOSE. fyi, these skirts flow super well with a pignose bumper/lip combo.

Last edited by jaysgottaredtop; 10-08-2012 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: updating
jaysgottaredtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links