View Single Post
Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostSlideWayz View Post
So ive been really considering buying a welder soon but i need some advice. Im turning into a complete do it your selfer and i have this fascination with just having the ability to make my own stuff when i need it.

My questions are...

Whats best to start off with ? Tig, Mig, Arc ? ( thats all ive ever heard of not sure if theres anything else than that)

What price range should i go for when i shop for one ? currently i have about 300 to spend so im not sure if there are good ones for that price or is that cheap ?

What company welder do you prefer (keep in mind my budget, im sure the price varies depending on the name)

Im thinking of taking a welding class but i would like to at least learn a bit before i take the class so im not completely lost and just fail.

Thanks for reading everyone and the advice !!!

$300 will not buy you a welder worth shit. It won't come close to buying you a Tig set, hell it won't even cover your supplies really.

I think you need to take the class or buy a book first because right now, by saying "I have $300 to spend" is like saying "I have $4,000, should I get a Lamborghini or a Ferrari.. keep in mind my budget".

If you REALLY want a welder, Harbor Frieght offers a Flux-Wire 90amp shitbox. Youtube videos for it. It's sloopy but will make sheet metal stick. You'll need to spend another $50 on a mask, $20 on gloves and $40 on quality fluxcore wire.

Get some metal and bamn, you bought the cheapest, jankiest Chinese welder ever and might have $50 left from your budget...

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-98871.html

As for a quality Name, Lincholns are well respected, a Tig will start around $2,000 for a decent one for Automotive.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote