View Single Post
Old 10-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #15132
jamg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (7)
jamg is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Stock harness and headlights aren't up to the task...
A lot more amperage draw. Heat generation will be higher.

Then the reflectors are designed for 35/55w. The angles are such that ate a certain lumen they reflect differently. Not only will you blind everyone and look like you are driving with the high beans on. It will give you night blindness.

You want to increase the spread of the beams not the intensity.
I have upgraded cibie h4 housings too... the reason for getting these halogen bulbs was so that i can actually see at night. i dont have retrofits, and this was an option instead of getting crappy HID's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post

Any standard, halogen, xenon, or other type bulbs, not HID's will work fine with oem wire and housings. When you step up to HID's or go digital LED, then you need things like resistance or buffer wiring or heavier wiring. OEM styled bulbs though(oem, halogen, xenon, et al), no need for heavier wire until you get over 100W
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
How will higher wattage bulbs not need upgraded wiring. But, HID's that use equal wattage and LEDs that use less need it?

HIDs only use more power during starting(Not enough to cook a harness). Then they use equal or less. The reason people upgrade harnesses on HID installs is because the resistance on old wiring creates a voltage drop that puts a strain on the electronics in HID ballasts.
There is very little experience on this.

Others have said that they were able to use the 85w bulbs and it not melt their harness.

I've asked elsewhere, and he said that i needed a relay.

I'm not so sure about the stock harness being able to handle 100w... will it melt it?

either way, i want to run these bulbs, so i can actually see at night. i've got metal and glass housings with good reflectors so i should be alright.

my car is very low so it won't be pointed up so high.
jamg is offline   Reply With Quote