Old 02-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Croustibat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Croustibat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaluska View Post
i should rephrase..

the intercooler limits the amount of air rushing into the radiator.. its like blowing air through a mesh window, air can go through, but the mesh block a little bit of flow.

it has happened on my last 3 cars, and my friends 2 KA-T's...

5 out of 5 have overheated after installing a FMIC.

proof enough for me.
I have another theory about the reasons you and your friends overheated, but you wont like it.

So yes, an IC will restrict flow a bit,but not to the point of creating overheat conditions. That happens only if you did some other mistakes like removing the undertray, NOT stacking the intercooler on the rad, NOT ducting the rad correctly, and NOT having the adequate tune.
Even if you dont have a FMIC, you NEED a tune and that undertray anway. Ducting the rad is a plus.

Then yes, it will overheat. Otherwise it wont cause any problem.

SMICs, OEM or replacement, dont really work well TBH, they restrict flow quite a lot and dont cool the charge enough. A FMIC is usually worth at least 10WHP, as it cools much better and acts less like a restriction. It will somewhat unchoke your engine, you will be able to maintain boost higher in the revs.

Now if you are really worried about cooling, stick a larger radiator on the car at the same time. But keep the undertray and get a tune.

Also remember you may have to relocate / change your battery with a FMIC, depending on the piping.
Croustibat is offline   Reply With Quote