View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 10:24 PM   #1
aack

Trader Rating: (0)
aack is an unknown quantity at this point
S13 Rear End Clunk. Help!

Hi everyone,

I know this is a common problem, but I have searched every single forum with no answer. I am experiencing a clunk/thud/noise coming from what I think is my rear end every time torque is sent back there. This could be from throttle blips, or releasing the clutch.

This problem started happening after I did a rear end rebuild I guess you could say. I started with a completely stock S13 and the car made zero noises. I did energy poly bushing kit which replaces everything in the rear including the sub frame bushings, and I put in a J30 vlsd.

The car clunked. I also hated that the diff put stress on my driveshaft so I swapped the vlsd into my open diff pumpkin. The car still clunked. So I took the diff to a shop thinking it was a backlash issue, it wasn't, they said it looked fine.

Like I said, the car was stock and made zero noise before doing all of this. So it can't be the tranny, cant be the driveshaft, cant be the axles. I even have gone through and checked it with the diff out. The driveshaft has barely any play when in gear and makes a normal tranny noise when shook and there is no play in the axles. I'm dumb founded.

My only guess is I got a crappy J30 diff from the scrap yard? What else could it be?
aack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links