View Single Post
Old 06-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #59
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Wouldn't that be the job of the thermostat? Why you loose MPG with a colder thermostat.
Off topic,

I'm not sure what your asking me, but a thermostat just controls the temp of the engine by opening the thermostat valve when the water temp is at a certain temp. I couldn't tell you specifically why MPG is reduced with a colder thermostat, but it could be because more heat is taken out of the engine, or because the computer changes the AFR, or a combination of both.

Neglecting a thermostat, the more heat an engine produces, the more power it is making. About 1/3 of the total energy of the mass of the fuel in the combustion chamber becomes usable work (power to the flywheel). The other 2/3 of the energy is either taken out from the cooling system, or loss through the exhaust and other misc losses.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote