View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
Cool The Supa Doopa two-tone throw down.

Hey again brosephs.

It's been a while since I've started a build thread. Seeing the departing of my old hatch, I originally intended on scoring a S14 until a friend of mind decided to put his two tone coupe up for sale. I instantly jumped on it after seeing how clean it would inside and out. I've always wanted a coupe [originally, I wanted a coupe more than a hatch but the same issue arose when I saw the hatch - it was too pristine to pass up] and a two-tone definitely was an added bonus.

Now, the fun part. He lives about a 10 houses down and around a corner and the only way to get this thing to my house was push it with the front end on dollies [the front suspension and tie rods were gone and we couldn't source any nor was I going to buy any when they were just going to all be replaced anyways], call or a tow truck, or rig something stupid unsafe. We opted for the third option.

So this is what we came up with. The front rack would have 2 Harbor Freight 1,000LB each dollies [yeah, this is already bad idea one], tie 2 tow straps to each tow hook and strap those to the back of my STi hatch. For some reason after it was hooked up, it looked like a good idea. When we started moving, it was a horrible idea.

Needless to say, it took an hour to move a tenth of a mile but we managed to get it here without smashing into any children or cars and getting stuck anywhere. I removed the front fenders and hood so I can monitor the dollies in case they were moving. Getting it home was a little shaky at points but not as bad as I thought.

So, I pushed it from there up into the garage and got her on jack stands planning my next moves. I have so many ideas and plans for the car but some of those will remain under wraps. After the move, I was absolutely beat so I ended up showering and passing out fairly early.

I woke up the next morning and trolled Zilvia and my local Craigslist for shits and giggles to see if anything caught my eye while I was tearing the car down. I came across brand new Circuit Sports half and half tails from a kid who bought them and hated them [his car was roller painted baby blue, disgusting] so I ended up scoring them for $20. I drove to work and continued my trolling until I headed home. I got home and remembered how much fun the rear end was last time [sarcasm] so I decided to start there and get the worst out of the way while I had some motivation.

So, I ripped out the rear subframe and thank God I started where I did. 3 of the 4 bushings were trashed to the point the centers just fell out when the subframe dropped, the rear axles were both torn, and the arms were covered in axle grease. None of it was my buddies fault as the car did end up sitting a long time and I'm sure somewhere along the way, the axles decided to give up as I'm sure they weren't too new. Not a big deal because again, it'll all be replaced.

With the subframe on the ground and the arms all being removed, I also removed the full spindles with the brakes, hubs, and axles all left together. Why? I plan on throwing some PBM rear knuckles with rear lower controls, brand new axles, EVO brembos [most likely if not 300ZX's], and 5 lug hubs so pretty much that whole setup can go right into the trash. All the arms in the rear will most likely be PBM as I had very good success with them on my previous car and of course some PBM solid subframe bushings. I used SPL's before but didn't really utilize the collars that much so I decided to go with PBM for cost savings and more functionality to my needs. Yes, it seems like I order pretty much out of PBM's suspension catalog but honestly after using past and present product, I couldn't be more happy with them. I have used SPL with great success and may experiment with them as well, but as of right now, the build calls for what I've found tried and true.

The rear setup I'm hoping for:
KAAZ 2-way
PBM solid subframe bushings
PBM rear drop knuckles
PBM rear lower control arms
PBM rear upper control arms
PBM traction arms
PBM tension arms
PBM toe arms
EVO Brembo's [possibly going dual caliper later on]
PBM coilovers

As of right now, that's where I'm at. My focus is all on that rear setup and getting it done and put back up so the only other time I'll ever have to look back there is throwing in the one-piece drive shaft or putting up an exhaust. Most likely in the next few days I'll also drop the front too so I can clean up the rack, check for leaks and issues, and give the whole front a cleaning of a life time and some new bushings. It looks a little over do.

Now, before I end this post, most of you are thinking "what motor are you planning on throwing in?" Ironically, I have a decent deal on a 2JZGTE non-VVTI block local that I may exploit. I may end up getting it because the deal is too stupid not to and slow build the piss out of it for either this or something for later on. I also considered V8 in the form of a LS1/2. They're around me local but not sure if I want to go V8. I may go the purist route for now and go with a SR as I have plenty of experience with it. That's more of a decision for a later date when I'm done tubbing the front end and cleaning it all up. This build isn't anything that is going to be done over night but I'd like to enjoy it before the end of the summer if possible.

Any and all input is welcome and any comments, questions, and concerns I will be more than happy to address.

NOTE: I will be kitting it and with the help of some photoshopping and trolling the two-tone thread, I'll get a better idea of what front end I'll also be doing. Those, again, are still undecided as I'm more concerned getting everything else squared away first.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links