View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #51
MyblackS13
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (4)
MyblackS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Also while under the car I went after a few transmissions issues. First was the lack of a flywheel dust shield. For that I installed the Canton LS1 - T56 dust shield.

I had to do some minor trimming to clear my headers (I didn't want to pull the driver's side, otherwise it would have fit there) and one bolt on the Moroso pan. Sorry about the super close pic, my jack doesn't go really high so it was a little snug under there.

Another problem was that the stock reverse switch socket was nearly touching the tunnel, I couldn't plug in, or unplug them without loosening the trans mount. I did a little searching to see if there was a better solution and came across others using the reverse switch from a t56 equipped mustang. Its a Motorcraft SW-5857, it adds a little right angle wire pigtail instead of a straight in plug adding a ton of clearance.

Another issue I had was the reverse lock-out when I was building the harness I had read about difficulties with the reverse lock-out and opted to not wire it and try to come up with my own solution. My first solution was to remove the solenoid, replace it with a M20x1.5 plug and install a stiffer spring behind the plunger.

That didn't work so well, it was still too easy to hit reverse instead of 5th and I didn't really want the feel of a much stiffer spring, so I came up with another solution. I wanted it to feel more like a detent and have more of an initial break to an easy push so it would be obvious if you're about to go into reverse. I took some measurements and started in SolidWorks.

I tweaked the design a little bit and ended up with this.

Here it is next to the stock part, minus solenoid.

And in the car, it gained a lot of tunnel clearance, more than I needed, but it probably would work even better on cars with even tighter transmission tunnels.

Here's how it works, kinda hard to tell without actually feeling it, but the video should get the idea across. Pretty pumped that my idea/prototype worked as expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwQo6tbC0No

Last edited by MyblackS13; 08-05-2015 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Youtube link problems
MyblackS13 is offline   Reply With Quote