View Single Post
Old 06-20-2023, 08:17 AM   #49
AKADriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
AKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond reputeAKADriver has a reputation beyond repute
My car is rotted out in the same spot on the passenger side strut tower. Mine's actually worse even though my car was driven in Maryland all its life, but it's a hatch and was daily driven 14,000 miles a year for 23 straight years.

The best fix I've seen for that spot beyond replacing the entire strut tower/apron is to drill out the spot welds on the reinforcement plate, patch the hole underneath in the strut tower top plate and treat all the hidden surface rust (there will be a lot), then replace the reinforcement plate. I've seen people just make their own reinforcement out of plate steel and stitch weld it on, I plan to trace out the factory one and replicate it in CAD and get it laser cut.

And yeah start from the bottom and go up. The only reason I bought my car knowing the strut tower top was effed was knowing that the frame rails weren't. Though I didn't catch that my floor pans behind the front seats were also cheesy... oops.

There is no better feeling than being able to finally take your car for good long drives knowing that it was you that put it back together.
AKADriver is offline   Reply With Quote