View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #21
ericb382
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
ericb382 is an unknown quantity at this point
I called apexi (since I was using an apexi HG) before I installed mine and asked if they recomend copper spray/RTV. They said no to both.

The way I look at it, the only time you need RTV around the front cover is if you haven't had the block and front cover decked together. If both your block and head have been resurfaced, no need for copper spray. If you've taken a straight edge to them (not freshly machined) and they are good, copper spray.

I also heard contradicting stories as to whether or not it was necessary to retorque head studs after heat cycling a metal HG. I called ARP for this (as I was using their studs,) they said yes. After your first heat cycle go through, break each headstud loose, and retorque. One at a time.

I'm sure some people will disagree with me on my outlook on copper spray and whether it's worth re-torquing, but I like to get my recomendations directly from the manufacturers. Yes, I know, many people get away without retorquing, but it takes maybe an hour. Why not have the added security.
ericb382 is offline   Reply With Quote