View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #17
drmotorhead

Trader Rating: (0)
drmotorhead is an unknown quantity at this point
I did not correctly word the comment about the speed at Bonneville being done over a mile. I also looked into the bonnville race. There are two courses set up for LSR runs: 4-5 miles and over 7 miles. I think the measurement of speed is average speed over the last mile. My point was that the car spends a long time at WOT or near it.
During the runs, the salt surface was described as "wet and loose". I could continually hear the driver modulating the throttle. Two other cars spun as well. Then event organizers closed the race.
from the article:
"The H in H/PS represents the engine class with displacements permitted being between 1.0 - 1.5L. The PS portion is a specific class for a production body car void of aerodynamic modifications, using the same engine family available from the factory, (For example, KA24 or SR20 ) and the same induction method (single turbo must use single turbo or supercharger must use supercharger, etc)." [[not sure how they got away with the roof rails]]
"While attempting to push the record over 200 MPH, Chuck would go for Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride spinning the car not once, but twice at over 196 MPH. The car suffered minor damage as a result of the high speed spins but Chuck was fortunate enough to walk away unscathed."
They did an amazing thing: took a stock bodied 1.5 liter car to an amazing speed.
But...they worked with a rule book designed to make it difficult, even dangerous.
The rules for standing mile have rules for safety, but the car is up to the builder.

I have a low goal for curb weight. I may not get there. But along the way, I always for the lightest part that meets the performance goal. Aluminum over steel, carbon fiber over aluminum or steel where appropriate or possible, and titanium where possible.
drmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote