View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #455
JGrayo2012

Trader Rating: (0)
JGrayo2012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool My Experience/ Review with the cxracing LS1 swap

first and foremost I would like to say that this is not a good kit to buy if you do not have access to tools like a grinder/cutting wheel or a welder, and some of the hardware is not provided, but i do agree that if the kinks in this kit were worked out it would be the best kit for price on the market. CX has been cooperative about any questions ive had throughout the install

I have ran the NA kit and also have the turbo kit for my ls swap, so if you have any questions feel free to ask me, my car is a 1990 s13 hatch, 76mm 5.3 swapped

NA kit

-the motor mounts are said to be adjustable for your desired position, but keep in mind that the driveshaft and sway bar on the vehicle is not adjustable. So there is very little room for adjustment, I also had to trim one of the motor mounts to clear the NA headers.

-transmount works great, good fitment

-the oil pan could have been shaped better for fitment purposes, the clearances between the sub frame and sway bar are very tight. Also the flange on the CX oil pan is approx 1/2in thicker than the stock oil pan, so if you are reusing factory length bolts at factory torque spec you will strip the block! longer bolts are a must if you dont want oil leaks.The oil lines take some work to route in the engine bay from the fittings on the oil pan, but they are reasonable.

-the drive shaft that came with the swap appeared to be nice, but after the car was up and running i was having terrible issues with its balance, cx claimed they are computer balanced, but ive used 2 different trans and differentials so i knew it was the shaft, i took the shaft to a shop and had to pay them to re balance it, it was way out of spec, and the shaft did not appear to be missing weights or damaged.

-the NA headers fit well, would recommend new longer bolts for these when installing, they cleared the steering shaft fine. you will need 120 degree boots and sleeves to get them around the headers

-the header back exhaust provided hung way too low to the ground, it would have been impossible to drive the car without modification, but it sounds pretty good.

for the turbo kit

-the turbo manifolds fit great, no issues

-the crossover pipe fit great, no issues

-the oil lines, feed/return provided fit great and have no issues, but initially i was not sent all of the proper fittings to run them, i had to call cx and have them shipped to me. and also there is a bung for the oil return provided but it is almost impossible to find a place for it, you will have to drill or weld something in the front cover or block, which will be hard to do with the motor in the car.

-the 76mm turbo came, had very little shaft play, i looked inside the turbo and the inlet had a hole/crack in the casting and i had to fill it. was not pleased. there is also not a threaded port/fitting for the wastegates boost reference on the turbo or intercooler piping so you will have to make one.

-the BOV provided comes with 2 springs, the one installed when you receive it is way to light, it stays open at idle, and the second spring is way to heavy, it wont blow off untill i cut throttle at around 9psi.

-the wastegates i received did not come with the same size v-band flanges that were affixed to the manifolds, CX said that they either welded the wrong flanges on the manifolds, or sent me the wrong waste gates. They partially refunded my money, and i welded the correct flanges onto the manifolds myself. but it appears that they sent the wrong size waste gates, their size on the both boxes they came in was peeled off, and the car goes well past 8psi they are supposed to be rated at, i am pretty sure they gave me 12 psi wastegates. not happy about this either.

-the intercooler and piping is good quality and fits well, and the couplers and clamps are good quality as well.

IN CONCLUSION

please do not expect that if you buy this kit you will have it installed over the weekend, or even over the week. you will need to modify almost everything in some way, you will need to order extra fittings and hardware etc, and you will probably need to contact CX for support and or parts, keep in mind they are on the west coast, so if you are in the east and call them before noon they arent even open yet. I personally feel that they do not do a good job of checking quality of their products before sending them out, and there are some issues with their kit that need to be worked out. For the price this kit is fair, but after you figure the money you need to invest to solve some of the problems with the kit, it may be worth buying a kit from a more quality oriented company.
JGrayo2012 is offline   Reply With Quote