View Single Post
Old 11-11-2004, 04:16 PM   #12
sLiDewAys
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
sLiDewAys is an unknown quantity at this point
(quote) from midwest240sx.com

"The Technical @#%$:

The CA used an iron block unlike the SR which runs an aluminum block but despite that there is not much of an overall weight difference in the two motors. The CA LIKE THE SR has the piston oil squirters and crank stud girdle. The SR uses a 4 runner manifold into a 4 port head, the CA on the other hand runs a 4 runner manifold that splits into 8 entering the head as an 8 runner manifold. The big difference in the two motors is in the valvetrains. The SR20 only has 4 cam lobes per cam not 8 like the CA does. With 8 valves per side on the SR Nissan had to use a rocker arm arrangement to actuate paired valves simultaneously from a single lobe. It's cheaper to implement than the CA's setup but causes valvetrain loss and noise. The CA runs true 8 lobe cams which act directly on top of the valves. Much more effecient, less moving parts, better revs, etc.. That's one of the reasons that the CA is considered to be a more FREE REVVING engine than the SR. The biggest advantage the SR20 has is it is a bigger capacity motor. 2.0L in comparison to the CA's 1.8 ( no replacement for dispacement right?) . The SR20 has a relatively long stroke, it's stroke is longer than the width of it's bore. The stroke to rod length ratio is at a point where the engine still revs well, but it suffers from "excess stroke". This is another reason the the ca is considered to be better reving (smoother not higher), unlike the SR with it's "over-square" design the CA uses a square design (stroke=bore). The SR is capable of handling more power on the stock bottom end. I've heard of 400-450PS being possible with the correct tuning on a stock SR bottom end while 400PS isn't quite feasble with an CA18DET... A big reason again being the difference in displacement.
(quote) from midwest240sx.com

Those are just PLAIN FACTS, i do not favor the CA over the SR, i'm not here to tell you which is better. we face the facts that the ca is a 1.8L engine w/o as much torque as the sr20det. BUT, it does house more power than the NA ka24de w/mods! and i personally have no problem drifting/touge with my old lightly modified ka. but lets think

-ca18de(T)
there is a turbo there for a reason, what reason? BOOST reasons. You can get a ca18 for consiterbly cheap. i got mine for 1200 from venus auto because a friend of mine as an account with them. 1200 for ca18 vs 2300 for sr20... thats a 1100 different where i can put MANY MANY mods into the ca18. which is what i have done...

not every motor will run like cherry! CA or Sr. they do come from japanese wrecking yards. every importer has their fair share fo sr and ca crappy motor clips so have your heads up and eyes open while choosing yours. Simple tools we use can tell the condition of a motor ie(compression tester, leak down testing, visually checkin the motor yourself) you pick the motor you will be running... so to end the allmighty ca vs sr discussion, buy what you think will suit you, because in the end u will be spending the same ammount of money on either motors!

brandon