View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Rustys14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
Rustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of lightRustys14 is a glorious beacon of light
Haha, I bid on that same one. I stopped when it got over $250 though since I can get them from a local importer in the pumpkin for a little more but you still got a pretty good deal.

To answer your questions:
For fluid use any non synthetic 80w90 gear oil with Ford friction modifier. Synthetic oils cause a film to build up between the plates which reduces locking and causes premature wear. You can get the friction modifier from any ford dealer, I forgot the exact price but its pretty cheap. I personally use Lucas non synthetic performance gear oil in my 2-way differentials (O.S. Giken and Carbonetic) with the friction modifier and it works great. Some gear oils like Lucas claim to already contain the friction additive but you still need to add friction modifier to them. Also since your differential is used you do not need to break it in.
DO NOT take it apart and scuff up the plates, you are just asking to mess things up if don't know what they are doing and there is really no reason to.

Good luck with your diff! Those Nismo units are pretty nice so you should be happy with it.
Rustys14 is offline   Reply With Quote