View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 10:55 PM   #40
mgps13

Trader Rating: (0)
mgps13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Broken R32 CV Axle

OK so I broke an axle at the track a couple of weeks back which put me down for a little while, but I found an temporary fix for those who are running 5 bolt axles. I picked up a used set of ET street radials in 275 40 r17 for a good price and tried them out. The first time I heat cycled them they umm... worked. What was weird was that I didnt break it at the line it was like 30 feet down the track right about where I finished slipping the clutch. The axle may have been on its way out though from all of the wheel hopping in the past.

Since I am not ready to upgrade to the z32/q45 setup, I found another solution for the time being. It appears that 350z axles are about the same dimensions as the the J30, except in a 6 bolt round pattern. The J30 axles are longer than my old r32 axles but still usable. What I ended up doing is building a hybrid axle from my r32 5 bolt and the z33 6 bolt.

Outside are some J30 axles I borrowed for comparison, inside is 350z:

Here is the process of turning a 350z axle into a usable 5 bolt axle. The 350z has the same spline on the wheel side as the 240sx, and comes with a lifetime warranty
mgps13 is offline   Reply With Quote