View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 11:08 PM   #35
mgps13

Trader Rating: (0)
mgps13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I got all of the rear suspension put together and installed the wider street tires. On 14 psi it sticks OK on the street, but I am hoping that it will work out at the track too. If the wheel hop doesn't show up then I will be happy.

If any one has a time machine, please go back and time and kill whoever thought it was cool to make all of the Nissan r200 differentials so similar yet still different:

The J30 diff had 6 bolt axle stubs, but I wanted to keep my 5 bolt R32 axles in my setup. My first thought was to swap the z32 stubs into the j30 diff (WRONG), the J30 DIff stubs are longer and have a larger diameter shaft. Nissan makes 3 different vlsd shaft sizes and spline counts, just to keep things interesting I guess,...fuckers.

Undeterred I came up with the idea of swapping the z32 vlsd unit into the j30 case with the j30 ring and pinion. When this setup is shimmed in the J30 manner you almost get a working diif, except that because of the change in shimming now the z32 vlsd shafts are not the correct length, by like an 1/8th of an inch. This causes the drivers side shaft to stick out a tad too far (no issue), but also causes the passenger side shaft to be just barely too short to get to the c clip grove (those fuckers...) But hey no big deal right, Nissan actually made a diif that has this ratio and the 5 bolt output stubs, unfortunately its not the one in my garage at the moment, so back to the z32 diff for now.

Either way more rubber:

Rear camber at ~zero
mgps13 is offline   Reply With Quote