View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 06:15 AM   #94
Def
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
This is awesome...

Any worries on the gearbox holding the torque?

Also, your VVL cam change sounds pretty late, where the turbo has already built up some boost. I found you want to change it right as you start getting reasonable positive pressure in the intake manifold. You can't just do a sweep on the low lobes and then on the high lobes and pick the point via that, as the turbo will be a dog coming into boost down at low RPM on the high lobes. You've got to use the low lobes to get the turbo somewhat up to speed, then the high overlap and early exhaust valve opening of the high lobes will make it really come on boost quickly.

If you still have trouble getting the boost to come in earlier, I'd probably go to a tighter turbine housing A/R, as I think another few hundred RPM of powerband in the midrange is going to make you faster than a tad more power on the very top of the powerband based on how the car drives. It seems slowest compared to other cars coming out of corners, and it's easy to miss how much time that costs you on a turbo car. Versus I think you're looking at maybe a tenth a second max per lap if you took off 20-30 HP up top.