Thread: Misfire at idle
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
andrewxxcarlson

Trader Rating: (0)
andrewxxcarlson is an unknown quantity at this point
Misfire at idle

Hello all,
New to 240s, not new to forums nor wrenching.
89 Coupe (Ill try to get a picture up)

Too start, I am usually strictly opposed to buying modded cars. As the work does not usually meet my exceptable standards. Bought the car from an older gentleman (55ish), who has owned it with his son for the last 10 years in California. Spent the last 2 years on non-op. Said stock, original motor, 120k...what?? 120k and the odometer works? Yes. Im a skeptic of course. But I've been around this long enough to know, this motor was original with 120k. 4k was the asking price and 4k is what I gave him. Rust free, couple exhaust leaks, a misfire. But nothing I couldn't handle. Came kitted as well, fairly well done too. A Touge RB silvia kit. Looks pretty, not sure its the style I'm gonna go for, but its also came with the original pig nose body panels, and also my much sought after silvia front end.

Moving on, time to register and get this bitch ready for smog. First impression...eh, clunky in the rear (Kaaz 2-way diff) what feels like its borked but ill get more into that later. Misfires at idle on I believe 2 cylinders. Under load above 1500rpm misfire is gone. Idle is solid at 750. Done all the maintenance that youd normally do with any car with unknown history.
-Spark plugs
-Wires
-Cap & Rotor
-o2 Sensor
-Oil
-Coolant
-Fuel filter
-Fuel pump tested at 48psi before the fuel rail.
-Cleaned MAF
-Cleaned throttle body
-Properly adjusted TPS, .5v idle, 4.3v WOT
-Properly timed @ 15 BTDC
-Cleaned up some vacuum lines running to AIC
-Seafoam in gas tank and through brake booster.

Doing a cylinder balance test shows that when cylinder 3 and 4 wires are pulled, there is m00t change in idle compared to when pulling 1 and 2 cylinder wires. I have good spark on all 4 cylinders. Compressions numbers are 170 160 175 180. So if I have compression and spark, so that leaves the fuel side, like I said fuel pressure is fine. I do believe I'm running rich, smell fuel on plugs after compression test. I've noid tested each injector connector and I'm getting solid signal. Putting a stethoscope to the injectors all injectors click on and off across the board, no difference between them. I have ordered 2 injectors to see if that will correct my issues.

Problem number 2, Kaaz 2-way diff, this is my first time ever driving something that locks this often, it turns me on. YET, it makes noises. YES, i know these make noises. Can hear wheels bind on slow turns, but what I do not find normal is the clunking/popping. Its really more of a popping, kinda like a worn ball joint or tie rod. But when the diff pops it much more violent and its numerous times. If it was like one or 2 pops ya I understand. But is this how its really supposed to be? My 10 years in the field tells me this is a little excessive to the majority LSD 2-way diff noise.

I apologize for making this a long intro, just tryina get this thing on the road and smogged. But this is my intro, I am looking for any advice or experience anybody has had with these symptoms, and I'm glad to be apart of the zilvia forums.

Last edited by andrewxxcarlson; 11-05-2016 at 09:02 PM..
andrewxxcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links