View Single Post
Old 09-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #21347
derass
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
derass is making a name for him/her selfderass is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
On pads: Watch out you do not put race type pads on your street car. They take longer to heat up, and remove braking distance because you are not hard on them to heat them up.
In addition to this, once the pads are warmed up, they might be too agressive for your tires. I was only running 300TW summer tires with the HP+ and I could lock them up very easily. With a 200TW tire like Dunlop Z2, Hankook RS3 or Bridgestone RE71R, the HP+ pads would have been perfect. In fact, the HP+ might not have even had enough heat capacity for extended sessions on track. That's where the DTC-60's would come in.

So in short, choose upgraded brake pads based on your tires, ratio of track to street driving, and how long you're out on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyced View Post
Also why not DOT 5.1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoSt180 View Post
DOT 5.1 is fine, if not a bit overkill.

I actually haven't checked up on fluids in a while and only remembered that DOT 5 was silicon based and couldn't be mixed. Did a quick search on 5.1 just now. Glad to see DOT 5.1 is glycol based and totally compatible with DOT 3/4.
I was under the impression they couldn't be mixed?

There are some fantastic choices in DOT4 brake fluid. ATE Type 200 is probably the best value, and Castrol SRF has the abosulte highest dry and wet boiling points of any DOT4 fluid on the market. There are some choices in between those two from Motul and Stoptech as well.

I personally ran Type 200 and it served me well for lapping days. It has high boiling points, a 3 year service life and is very cost-effective: about $20 for a Liter. I was tempted to get SRF, but it's about $70 / Liter and only has a 1 year service life. It's probably overkill for anything short of world class racecar.
derass is offline   Reply With Quote