Thread: 1uz vs. LS
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
RubyS14

Trader Rating: (1)
RubyS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ74_ View Post
So I have been looking around at swap ideas for a while now and been wanting to do Ls/v8. I have normally not paid any attention to or looked into 1uz swaps until recently and was wondering if are any people that have done the swap and have an opinion on to do the swap or not. The only reason I'm looking into 1uz is because its dirt cheap and I could most likely get it into the 350ish horsepower range without spending a large sum of money. I am also new to this forum so if there is already a thread where this is discussed a link to it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
The issue with the 1UZ, though its a very reliable engine with decent power, the aftermarket is still very limited. The only way to not spend oodles of money making that much power is forced induction. If you plan to stay NA, you will quickly realize that your bank account will suffer greatly. 1st gen 1UZs have the thickest con rods but has the lowest power outputs. Last gen introduced VVTI which boosted power and MPGs, but also added challenges of wiring and such. This engine is abundant and cheap and is a really good choice for stock power.

The LS motors are animals. You don't have to throw gobbs of money at them to make power. They are also abundant and everyone knows how to tune them. The initial cost of say an LS1/T56 is a turn off to me (purely opinion) so when deciding to do an engine swap... I decided to not use that base engine. If I were going the LS route, I'd stick with the 5.3L (LM7) as a base as they are cheap and everywhere. But I would try to source an LM4 block as they are aluminum and save some weight. The LS will always win the power output as compared to the 1UZ. They are also a much smaller package as compared to the 1UZ.

All this being said, I am choosing to go the 1UZ route. Most likely with VVTI and will swap in 1st gen con rods. I am not looking to make a lot of power as I'd like to make the car as balanced as possible regarding suspension/tires/weight vs power.