View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
240sxfan6882
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
240sxfan6882 is an unknown quantity at this point
Which BMC for my setup? Please advice. Thank you

Hello mates!
Hopefully I can get some feedback/advice/suggestions from knowledgeable folks who have first hand experience with this. Thank you in advanced!

A little background on my "old" setup
I have an S14 with the manual booster, and i've ran the Z32 fronts with stock rears for like 8 years, and it's time for a change.

New setup
I have some 350z Brembo 4 pot calipers and rotors with a 12.3" rear rotor on STOCK S14 calipers in order to keep proper 70/30 brake bias

Reason for upgrading
The Z32s felt a little weak when I really went hard on them - possibly because of the BM44 BMC that I had. I got the 350z calipers for cheap, and yes.. there's some BLING factor involved

My question
The 350z Brembo calipers have the same number of pistons as the Z32 ones, but overall piston area is bigger and also has a larger brake pad. I did some torque math, and the clamping power is just a bit stronger than the Z32s, but the larger rotor is what really gives it more total brake torque.

I'm thinking that a 15/16 BMC will work fine with the manual brake booster, 350z fronts, and Stock S14 Rears. The JDM S14s came with 4 pot fronts and OEM rears, and the manuals kept the 15/16 BMC and small Booster. The ABS/auto models got a 1" BMC and the dual diaphragm booster.

The S15 came with 4 pot fronts and stock S14 sized rears, but with a 1" BMC and all have the larger dual diaphragm booster, BUT they all had ABS.

To stop my ranting - would the 15/16 BMC suffice, or will the 1" BMC from a 1993 Q45 be enough? I'm afraid that the 1" BMC will be too stiff with a manual booster, and I would have to upgrade to a dual diaphram one. <-- Both of the BMCs i'm looking at have the proper split point and bias like the S13 and JDM S14 BMCs.

THANKS A TON FELLAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!