View Single Post
Old 04-08-2018, 06:30 PM   #38
s13driftnut
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (18)
s13driftnut is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Guys, Thanks again, been a while but I assure you that I haven't been slacking. Super busy around here and haven't gotten as much done as I hoped, but so is life! With my wheels arriving in 4 Weeks or so things have got to start picking up the pace!

Since so much is going on at once I suppose i will start with my the fuel tank, it was obviously really nasty, unsure of the pump and wiring, and had half a tank of old fuel in it, all of this had to be fixed!

Ripped off the crappy foam padding, pulled the sending unit and started getting rid of the old fuel

Started scraping off the thick crappy undercoating, and some over spray, nature of a full paint job!

Then it was time to spray some new rubberized undercoating, install my new Walbro 255 pump setup, also had some sound deadening left over so I used that in place of where the foam padding was. Also cleaned and painted the tanks front plastic shield in satin black.

Since that was all taken care of, my rear differential was in need of some cleaning and paint work as well, also curious to which differential it was, since it had 5-bolt axles and factory is 6 bolt. In the for sale ad from when I purchased it stated it was an R32 GTR diff, once I pulled it I found that was not the case! When I drained the fluid and opened it up, and did some searching. It has a 48/11 Ring gear, which makes it the JDM 180sx VLSD. Pretty happy about that since this is a 180sx clone! VLSD worked well before I parked it, but it was only driven twice by me haha Im one of those people who needs to know every single detail about his car, so now knowing for certain makes me happy!

All cleaned up with fresh fluid ready to go!

Also decided to put on my new OEM sunroof seal, the old one was split and nasty, the new one really makes a difference!

Had a decent setback, got all of my new bushings, and balljoints for my arms to install, installed all of them until I got to the rear lower control arm bushings, they sent the wrong ones and I didn't catch on until I went to install, and once returned the wrong ones, the ones I needed are on 2 week backorder . But here is a nice pic of the rear knuckle bushings installed! I went with hardened rubber for all my replacement bushings, since I don't want any squeaks/binds from urethane, or the hassle of taking them apart to grease them repeatedly. Remember, this is just a clean street car!

Since everything underneath is becoming new, the steering rack needed to be addressed, it was nasty, and the outer tie rod ends were falling off. I ordered new Nissan OEM dust boots along with a P2M Inner and outer tie rod set, they look beefy and remind me of Tein inner and outer set's I have run in the past, but since those are discontinued, I decided to try these! They look amazing so I'm happy with them so far.

Group shot of all my stuff waiting to be installed. Also ordered new suspension Techniques sway bars for the front and rear since mine were old and nasty (catching on to a trend with the underside of this car?? haha all old and nasty!) You can also see the new axles I ordered, since the old ones were split and slinging grease everywhere. I will keep them and reboot and paint them later for spares, saving time for now haha Also ordered these fancy front fender braces, which also got sent to powder coating. I have a fetish for clean gloss black underside, probably because I'm so used to rusty nasty greasy normal cars!

I'll be doing a full Z32 brake setup the whole way around the car, it came with 26mm aluminum fronts on it already, obviously not the color I want, so I took them apart for a rebuild and powder coating, along with the nasty Z32 rear calipers I purchased used. Here's a pic of them torn apart in their bags ready to go to powder coating!

Since the rear lower control arm bushings were back ordered, waiting on z32 rear parking brake setup and cables, and calipers heading to powder coating. I moved on towards my interior. I love music and so does my wife, so I purchased a set of 6.5" Kicker Speakers for all around, along with speaker plate adapters which made install a breeze!

I was then able to put the door panels on!

I was also able to snag a full JDM seatbelt setup from my friend Greg, which also used to be my friend Damon's as well, keeping them in the family! Since Greg is keeping his interior full minty original I lucked out because they are harder to come by now. But that posed one problem.....Headliner, since the JDM are thinner and expose the roof. Lucky for me, my neighbor owns a trim and upholstery shop so I took the headliner out and handed it to him, I picked out dark grey suede for the headliner, and he also dyed the trim and sunroof seal darker to blend better as well! Also did the sunroof cover, I think it turned out well!

Well that Ends this update! Hopefully update more frequently as I hope things start picking up the pace!