View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Dream240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Dream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond reputeDream240 has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I thought that about the dizzy teeth, so I decided to put the stock pulley back on and recheck, the timing.....

Dead nuts at 20* without me touching it.

So here's my conclusion, the tech that smogged my car must have checked the timing, but the timing marks on the aftermarket pulley are not accurately placed. So he must have read the timing based on the wrong marks and said...."DAMN 29* advanced."

So I'm just going to re-smog the car, and get a UR pulley. They have timing marks already on them and I've owned one in the past and never had any problems.

Also FYI, the ebay pulleys (and maybe OBX too) leak at the front main seal. Something about the clearance on the center hole of the pulley being off. The UR pulleys have this problem addressed by resleeving, or something like that.

So here's another perfect example of the "Go cheap, get cheap" argument.

As for your problem, sounds like you have a faulty cap, or maybe a failing dizzy. Try swapping out the dizzy with another one and see if your timing problems persist. I've never heard of timing jumping just by touching it. Wierd.