View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 09:29 AM   #1226
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
With that math, your total car weight with driver is ~2900 lbs ish?

I am sure a CF or FRP hood is very helpful? I see your signature on NRR as well so this is cool that you are posting here.

The reason I ask is how would you account for travel during braking and curb hopping? Thanks for you insights as I am rebuilding my car.

Yea, I post there more, but it's fairly quiet over there. The site owner is non-existent and there are some administrative problems, which doesn't help.

The hood is actually something I'll be addressing soon. Firstly, to get it to mount flush because I have it spaced to clear the VQ intake plenum and it looks horrible like that (to my eyes). And, because the OE steel hood is damn heavy! So, yea, ideally I'd like to do some sheet metal fab for a hood bulge then use it to make a mold for a FRP or CF hood. A great spot to lose some weight.

Here's my car with my 215lbs ass in it and a 1/4 tank of gas when I corner balanced it last month:

As for braking...you may already know all this, but I'll regurgitate it anyway...the amount of load transfer, either laterally or longitudinally, is only a function of your CG height, accelerations, weight, and your wheelbase (longitudinal) or track width (lateral). So regardless of your spring, damper, suspension kinematics (roll centers, anti-dive, anti-squat...), etc, quantity of load will be transferred as dictated by those parameters. How it's manifested into body roll, dive, squat, is controlled by everything else mentioned that we love futzing around with.

So with braking, it's much less and shared across the front springs. For instance, I can only generate a max of -1.1g with the tires I'm limited to run.

Longitudinal Load Transfer = (g)*[(weight * CG height)/(wheelbase)] = 482lbs. 482lbs/2 = 241lbs. 241lbs/500 lbs/in = ~0.5 in of total front spring compression. Again, I still need to actually determine my CG height so that's a guesstimate.

Curbs, bumps....I have 143mm (5.63 in) of total shock travel on my MCS's before hitting internal bump stops. At rest I'm using up ~1.5"...5.63-1.5 = 4.13 in of bump stroke. Even hitting a proper curb at apex or track out, I hope I don't use that much stroke! 500 lbs/in * 4 in = 2000lbs!

It's a different story using standard lowering springs, etc. You most certainly will require bump stops and you will hit them on bumps at the track and on the street.