Thread: Brian's s14
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2023, 01:57 PM   #30
bjreynolds202

Trader Rating: (0)
bjreynolds202 is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitfire View Post
Could you share any feelings of driving S14 vs Tesla? Didn't drive EVs, but I was under impression that they are of upper league regarding non-supercars
They're polar opposite, but that's why they work so well together for me.

The Model 3 Performance excels in terms of instant acceleration, electric powertrain advantages, advanced technology, and overall refinement. It blends daily driver duty with supercar performance so, so well. I really didn't want to make the move towards a family car until I drove my coworker's LRAWD variant. The brakes on his were iffy to me coming from my BRZ's really good brakes/tires, so I opted for the performance's which were marginally better, the issue ended up being the flexible firewall in these cars, so a brake cylinder brace made the night and day difference to feel confident in them. I really love that acceleration in the car is just so effortless, even just 25% throttle leaves other cars at a light (not racing) with silly margin, let alone flooring it which is just comical - but short lived. Handling is great - for the weight, the car weighs 4,000 pounds, the 240 weights 2800 ish, this aspect took some getting used to in the corners. Don't doubt it's ability to carve corners though, especially after some coilovers (which I have yet to do). All in all a great car, very low cost to maintain. I spent $240 on charging it in a year, or $8/full charge. I spend that on any given used part on the 240 haha.

The 240sx offers extreme driver engagement, nostalgia, and opportunity to enjoy the process given the whopping 7-8 seconds to get to 60mph, whereas the same time gets the tesla to 100mph. The need for high power and performance is null and void to me with it's stable partner available. I'm building this car now to be nice weekend cruiser, "datemobile" with my wife, etc. Brakes, suspension, operational windows would be great, etc. The things that enhance driver engagement, I want this car for the long run, maybe power will come eventually, but it's just not high on my list, never has been for this car.

Separately, I can see why people would or wouldn't want the tesla, and I see why people would or wouldn't want the 240. Together though? It's near perfect, I get whatever driving experience I want for the day. I have 3 tiers of a perfect 2 car setup, keeping the model 3 Performance and according to different budgets , having one of: 240sx, brz/86, cayman for the "driver's" car.

I've blabbered long enough, hopefully that helps answer your question. They are both phenomenal cars, for wildly different reasons.