Thread: Brian's s14
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 06:22 PM   #19
bjreynolds202

Trader Rating: (0)
bjreynolds202 is a well-known jackass
s14 Tension Rod Installation

Alright, time to install the tension rods. Supposed to be one of the easiest things you can do to this car.
Some images of what I was about to get into:

I think this is supposed to be up and down, not slanted 45 degrees...

Pics of them out:

And now some comparison shots:

This is where things started going badly. I could not get this guy out, I knew I was in trouble when it started slipping off and rounding. I got a hack saw, but couldn't get any position down there to try and cut it. So I got a gator socket, that has like a bunch of metal cylinders to try and wrap around any shape, and those things suck really bad. So I had to get an impact wrench, FINALLY got the sucker off. So here are my victory shots.

Pictures of the arms in the car now:

Now to torque everything down...

Except that 2/4 bolts given with the tension rods won't tighten or show any resistance. So I contacted the seller, and was directed to SPL Parts, so I've sent an email to hopefully get replacements or at least figure out where I can get replacements. like the size of the bolt and such. I know they are grade 10.9 (stamped on the hardware).

So until thats resolved the car is stuck on jack stands and hogging the center of my garage all week for a "30 minute job". Can't wait to get her back down and on the road again!