View Single Post
Old 03-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #19
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow4g63 View Post
I would advise against the mega squirt, not because I think it's shit but because not too many tuners know how to tune them. You will find a way longer list of people that know the AEM vs the mega squirt in Socal. If your going to tune yourself then jump into the mega squirt.

So, this is an interesting concept right. Because a tuner by definition should also be a mechanic, a technician, programmer, should have a solid foundation in the workings of an internal combustion engine. Amirite?

As such, all ECU, doesn't matter if its a power FC, AEM, haltech, megasquirt, big stuff, etc... ALL work the same. They ALL have a fuel map, a spark map, and configurable inputs/outputs that operate on the same basic principles of voltage, pulsewidth, wavelengths, triggers/switches, etc...

So for instance if I had never touched an AEM... I should still be able to figure it out within a few minutes just by looking through the software. the best tuners can write your fuel map and ignition map before you even start the car, by doing some basic algebra and using instinctive knowledge about engines, regardless of what kind of computer is installed. Any "tuner" that says "I only tune X computer" isn't actually a tuner.